F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

cant get f2 started again

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get f2 started again

bought a 94 600 f2 and the guy I bought it from rode it 60+ miles to me so I know it ran good. It started right up and rode perfect for a few days. A few days later I was only able to get it started about every other day. It was cold out so I thought that was the problem. I have since brought it indoors and was having the same problem with the intermittent starting. Tried to start it so much that the battery died a few times. I have fully cleaned the carbs and they are spotless. I pulled the plugs and they were fouled so I cleaned them and it started right up. Let it run for about 20 mins and it ran just as strong as it used to until it started to sound like a helicopter. So it was obviously missing. This was a few weeks ago. Since I have bought a new battery, cleaned carbs, and plugs and it will only crank again. Pulled the #1 plug and grounded to the head and have a weak spark. Checked both coils and stator with multimeter and they all checked good. I'm not sure where to go from here. Sorry for the long post, just trying to give as much info as possible and what I have already tried. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Old 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM

Can anyone at least tell where to start to diagnose a weak spark issue? I cant find a clear answer and dont want to just throw parts at it.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:56 AM

I cant believe that nobody has had this issue before and nobody knows where to go from here. Maybe its time to try another forum

Old 01-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well honestly, start with the fuel system. You say the carbs are clean and all that, do you physically see fuel going into cylinders? Is your bike flooding consequently when you are trying to start it. Smell of fuel out of tailpipe?

After I investigated that, then you can move back to the electrical system. Sounds like you have already checked some things so I dont know man. Any mods to the bike?

The bike only needs air, fuel and spark (power) to fire. If your saying its cranking, then your already doing good. Did you gap the new plugs? If power is looking dull at the plug perhaps you have a small tear in a wire? Check lines with omheter (continuity) and check back.

-Poss

Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM

I had an issue about 100 miles after I bought my 92 F2 this summer. My bike died while I was riding home,I tried starting it back up right away but it didn't even turn over. I parked it for 30-40 mins while I had someone come drop off my toolbox and I tried to start it and it started right up then died again after riding for about 5 mins. I'm not sure if that is your problem but it ended up being my r/r which was bad.