F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Ignition is stuck/wont turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition is stuck/wont turn

So I addressed this problem in a past thread but it probably got cluttered among the other questions/answers. I decided to create a thread for this issue in particular because its keeping me from fixing several other problems I'm having.

A couple weeks back, when I went to start by bike, I put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't turn. It was similar to that of a cars ignition lock when the steering wheel locks. My key was a little bent so I carefully straightened it and tried again but couldn't get it to work.

I also sprayed some WD-40 in the ignition in hopes it would free up whatever was holding it up, but I still couldn't get it to move. Maybe something is stuck at the bottom of the opening? I tried looking down into it with a light but couldn't see much. What seems to be the issue? What can I do to get it to work again?

Old 01-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you try moving the bars slightly as you try to turn the key?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you try pulling the key out just a hair after inserting it all the way then turn. That works on my 06 with the new keys that aint quite a good as the original key.

Old 01-14-2014, 04:12 PM

I figured it out, and am surprised I didn't realize right off the bat. It was so obvious it took me a while to come to the conclusion. The key is half broken in the ignition! When I bought the bike, I received the key in its current condition and wasn't told there was anything of issue. Although I noticed how short the key was, I didn't think twice because it worked fine up until I posted this thread. So now my question is, how the hell can I get the rest of the key out of the ignition? They are one way bolts holding the ignition onto the bike so I cant really take it apart. I also tried using some tweezers and a small hook but that was unsuccessful. Thanks again for the help guys

Old 01-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

small magnet and trying to get it out....do you have a pair of tweezers you can possibly magnify?

Would be nice if you could dab a small small dab of super glue on the end where it broke, but its hard to say if the key would seat perfectly down on the other broken half, and you def dont want to get glue down into the tumbler...

short of that I dont know. Call a locksmith? I am positive he could get it out with a pick kit. Saftey pin magnetized. Hell man run a cable around a pin or pin like tool and make an electromagnet and get it down in there, shouldnt be strong enough to stick in there and not be able to pull out but maybe it will grab the key.

Last edited by PossibleOne; 01-14-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by PossibleF4I
small magnet and trying to get it out....do you have a pair of tweezers you can possibly magnify?

Would be nice if you could dab a small small dab of super glue on the end where it broke, but its hard to say if the key would seat perfectly down on the other broken half, and you def dont want to get glue down into the tumbler...

short of that I dont know. Call a locksmith? I am positive he could get it out with a pick kit. Saftey pin magnetized. Hell man run a cable around a pin or pin like tool and make an electromagnet and get it down in there, shouldnt be strong enough to stick in there and not be able to pull out but maybe it will grab the key.
Yeah I actually called a locksmith and he wanted to charge me something like $120 to come out to me and then get the key out. I think I'm going to try the smallest of the small dab of glue on the end of the key and try to pull it out that way and if that doesn't work ill rig together an electromagnet. Hopefully I can get that piece out and start riding again. All this sitting is making me antsy.