F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Blown ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blown ECU?

My r/r fried and fried took the wiring harness with it. I replaced the r/r and the wiring harness.

Now the bike is running real rough. It will idle with the choke wide open, but won't go above 1K. If I close the choke or give it gas it will die instantly.

Ran perfectly before the death of my r/r.

Could it have fried the ECU? How do I check it.

I have a line on a used one locally so I want to jump on it.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:49 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ko67
My r/r fried and fried took the wiring harness with it. I replaced the r/r and the wiring harness.

Now the bike is running real rough. It will idle with the choke wide open, but won't go above 1K. If I close the choke or give it gas it will die instantly.

Ran perfectly before the death of my r/r.

Could it have fried the ECU? How do I check it.

I have a line on a used one locally so I want to jump on it.
There's no ECU on the F2, as it's carbureted, and not fuel injected, so I'm guessing you're maybe talking about the Ignition Control Module (ICM)?

If so, there are tests in section 16 of the service manual, for both the coils and the ICM.

I know these new issues seem to correspond with the R/R toasting on you, and it may indeed be related, but based on your description of how the choke circuit plays into this, is sounds more like a fuel delivery issue.
Also, have you checked your plugs, to see if they're fouled out, and have you checked each of them for good spark?

Anyway, good luck getting it sorted out!

Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
There's no ECU on the F2, as it's carbureted, and not fuel injected, so I'm guessing you're maybe talking about the Ignition Control Module (ICM)?

If so, there are tests in section 16 of the service manual, for both the coils and the ICM.

I know these new issues seem to correspond with the R/R toasting on you, and it may indeed be related, but based on your description of how the choke circuit plays into this, is sounds more like a fuel delivery issue.
Also, have you checked your plugs, to see if they're fouled out, and have you checked each of them for good spark?

Anyway, good luck getting it sorted out!
Yeah that thing. Haha.

Pulling the plugs was on the to do list. It is backfiring a little too.

Thanks!