F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

93 CBR F2 temperature problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013 | 11:44 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Man, that is no bueno... I have personally never even attempted to remove a head with the engine in the bike, not on the F2 anyway, so I can't say positively whether you can or can't get to all the bolts, but anyway, I would never bother... if I'm doing that big of a job, then I would be yanking the motor anyway.

BUT... there is another possibility here, and that's your oil cooler - this is a place where if some of the various rubber seals are not doing their job, you could end up with oil in the coolant, and vice versa.

If I were you, I would at least pull the oil cooler, and completely disassemble it, examining the condition of those rubber seals - if that's all it is, the job will be much cheaper, and require a helluva lot less work!

Old 12-18-2013 | 07:53 PM
|

Thats what i was reading, hopefully it is just the oil cooler which i'm going to pop off and inspect. I'm fairly sure it is the oil cooler cause the bike wasn't running bad or smoking at all.

Old 12-19-2013 | 05:35 PM
|

Good news with the bike guys, it's just the oil cooler and the gasket and o-rings that are all messed up. Also took the thermostat out and it was pretty much ruined, does anyone know a good way of getting the oil out of the radiator, and its lines and stuff? Also getting that coolant tank out was such a pain lol. Thanks.

Old 12-20-2013 | 09:40 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014

Originally Posted by Jinvl
Good news with the bike guys, it's just the oil cooler and the gasket and o-rings that are all messed up.
I told you so... aren't you glad I told you so?!?

Originally Posted by Jinvl
...does anyone know a good way of getting the oil out of the radiator, and its lines and stuff? Also getting that coolant tank out was such a pain lol. Thanks.
Just drain the cooling system entirely, and after you get your oil changed and thermostat replaced, just fill the system with distilled water, and run it just long enough for the temperature to register on the gauge, drain it, and repeat as necessary, using some coolant flush solution during one of these runs.

Also, regarding the oil change, you should do a flushing of that system as well.
If it were me, I would drain all the current oil, and then put in 1 quart of Gunk Motor Flush, filling to proper level with just some cheap-o motorcycle engine oil. Run the motor only at idle, for 5 to 7 minutes, then drain, and refill with the oil of your choice, and of course, install a new oil filter.

Old 12-22-2013 | 11:01 PM

I would take it to a rad shop and have it hot tanked . then pull all the hoses. and clean them the best you can. the oil and water in the motor i would not run it with motor flush, may make the clutch ship. unless you pull it and clean real well and reoil with good honda oil.

you can pull the head with the motor in the bike, i am doing a valve job and have just the head off.. don't forget about the over flow bottel it may have oil in it also.