F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

1st start up and im a little worried

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011 | 03:02 PM
|

i am having a b!tch of a time getting the carb off. I ve been rocking it back and forth for 45min and nothing. any tips?

Old 03-21-2011 | 03:43 PM
|

Ok finally got them off after i pulled a hulk move and almost lifted the bike off the ground. When i got it off took a look in the engine and my valves have some build up, if anyone knows how to get those clean without tearing into the engine let me know. Im gonna get into the carbs in a bit thanks for all the help so far everybody.

Old 03-21-2011 | 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by pdcbrf2
i am having a b!tch of a time getting the carb off. I ve been rocking it back and forth for 45min and nothing. any tips?
Pull hard... before you put them back on put a tiny bit of lube on the boot so it comes off easier next time.

Old 03-21-2011 | 04:17 PM

dont bother with the valves unless you are seeing massive amounts of crap.. and in that case your valve guides are worn and that is a fun job... not...

A little bit of gunk is no big deal. clean it off and it will come back anyway.

Old 03-21-2011 | 04:55 PM
|

Ok qucik question about my jets what is normal size and what should i expect if they are jetted. also should i count how many turns it takes them to come out or is that not a big deal. and another question when I saw your carb clean and tune how many turns out did you have your pilot screws, I know you ran lean and everybike is not the same but im trying to get a ballpark before i put them back in

Old 03-21-2011 | 07:00 PM

The easiest way to tell if you have a jet kit is to pull out the jet needle in one of the diaphragms and see if it has multiple slots. There are pics in the carb thread.

As for the pilot screw. Don't screw it out, screw it in gently until it stops. As you are doing this count the turns just to get an idea what it was at. Stock is 2 and 1/8 out. I think I ran mine at 1 and 7/8

Old 03-21-2011 | 07:28 PM
|

Thanks that is a great thread by the way im letting my jets it over night in some cleaner now. I have 135 and 38 size jets. And even though i have a slip on exhaust and k&n air filter i dont think this thing is jetted. I dont seem to have a mulit slotted jet needle

Old 03-21-2011 | 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by pdcbrf2
Thanks that is a great thread by the way im letting my jets it over night in some cleaner now. I have 135 and 38 size jets. And even though i have a slip on exhaust and k&n air filter i dont think this thing is jetted. I dont seem to have a mulit slotted jet needle
Those are stock jets for a 49-state F2 motor.

Old 03-21-2011 | 08:01 PM
|

Thanks a lot could the fact that it was never jetted but has a slip on exhaust and k&n air filter be a reason its running rich?

Old 03-21-2011 | 08:08 PM

I my be wrong here - but I think those mods increase airflow, which would actually make a lean situation. (some say the K&N actually flows less than stock - go figure.)

Lean is less fuel, Rich is more fuel in the fuel:air ratio.

Quick Reply: 1st start up and im a little worried