Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

"Safe" amount of nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Safe" amount of nitrous

hey guys, im installing a zex efi dry kit on my 929 and was wondering what jet i should go with. im running a power commander and a dynojet hub for off the bottle map and then on the bottle map. the kit came with 30hp, 45hp and 60hp jets. ive read that 40 is the most you should do on a stock motor. i can order a number 30 jet which should be around 37.5hp will this be best or is the 45hp jet okay to use. only other performance mods are m4 full exhaust, -1 +2 sprockets, lowered and stretch. thanks for any advice.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:14 AM

I dont know how much you know about no2 so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents here. All of my no2 knowage is based on cars.

The key to going to no2 is to keep the motor from becoming to lean. You hear people say "lean is mean", well it's true but it is also how you burn up pistons and rings. Be sure you get a good a tune or you will be getting a good replacement motor. People often talk about a "x amount horsepower" shot of no2. While it is ok to talk in such terms do keep in mind you may not that much power, you may get more. No2 is better decsribed in flow rates. There is also a big difference between "wet" and "dry" shots. Dry shots are pure No2 with no added fuel these are dangerous. No2 is nitous oxiode, all it does is supply more oxygen to the motor. "wet" shot is the way to go it adds fuel as well as no2 keeping the motor from leaning out. They cost more, there harder to install but 10 times the product and may save you're motor. No No2 is "safe" for you're motor the fact is any time you make more power you are putting more wear on youre motor. It's a game of risk of and reward. With that said I belive bang for you're buck you can not beat spray.
best of luck to you and youre future of sprayin and prayin

Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 PM

youre going to want to put the stock toothed front sprocket back in.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gah booOOOOOMMM!!!!

Old 12-29-2009, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
gah booOOOOOMMM!!!!

btw, how much nitrous you want to run really depends on what kind of gas you're planning on using. i have the set up you're talking about with a nitrous kit i put together myself. best thing to do is ask whoever is going to tune it is comfortable with.

map 1 - 110 octane nitrous map .036 jet

map 2 - 92 octane all motor map

this should save you some time also

Name:  2-1.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  23.2 KB

Old 12-29-2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by honda3x23

btw, how much nitrous you want to run really depends on what kind of gas you're planning on using. i have the set up you're talking about with a nitrous kit i put together myself. best thing to do is ask whoever is going to tune it is comfortable with.

map 1 - 110 octane nitrous map .036 jet

map 2 - 92 octane all motor map

this should save you some time also

Interesting, I was thinking having it tuned for 93 octane both maps and running 110 all the have time to prevent detnation on the bottle. I know it wouldn't run as well on all motor but would be safer on the bottle. Also I was looking at putting my nozzle where yours but then I was told to spray from the front through the air filter. What do you think about this. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never knew anyone to spray through the filter. Always past the filter as close to the throttle bodies as possible.

Must claim ignance on the 929 puters ... is the power commander you're using able to adjust timing? You can buy a little bit of detonation insurance by retarding the timing a bit when you hit the juice.

Don't worry about the dry shot vs wet shot ... as long as your map is good the PC will add gas when you hit the button.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sportbikes4life
Interesting, I was thinking having it tuned for 93 octane both maps and running 110 all the have time to prevent detnation on the bottle. I know it wouldn't run as well on all motor but would be safer on the bottle. Also I was looking at putting my nozzle where yours but then I was told to spray from the front through the air filter. What do you think about this. Thanks for your help.
no you don't want to do that, go in with little to no pump gas and drop off a few gallons of race gas. get an all motor map made then he/she will put in the race gas and tune for nitrous. this has been working for me, a lot of the zx-14 guys have their dry kits shooting the nitrous up into the top of the box like i do.

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Never knew anyone to spray through the filter. Always past the filter as close to the throttle bodies as possible.

Must claim ignance on the 929 puters ... is the power commander you're using able to adjust timing? You can buy a little bit of detonation insurance by retarding the timing a bit when you hit the juice.

Don't worry about the dry shot vs wet shot ... as long as your map is good the PC will add gas when you hit the button.
almost all of the 929/54 guys i came across were all spraying nitrous through the air filter, i have a stabilizer in front of the air box so i couldn't do it. i'd rather do it the way i did it anyways.

no he doesn't have a pc3 with timing retard abilities, if he did he wouldn't be able to use the hub switch. only the pc3usb allows the addition of the hub. it doesn't have much to do with the pc3 adding fuel on its own, the iat temperature sensor would tell the computer to add fuel yes but that's not not going to be efficient enough. especially with 40-50 hp

Old 03-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by brad horton
I dont know how much you know about no2 so I figured I would throw in my 2 cents here. All of my no2 knowage is based on cars.

The key to going to no2 is to keep the motor from becoming to lean. You hear people say "lean is mean", well it's true but it is also how you burn up pistons and rings. Be sure you get a good a tune or you will be getting a good replacement motor. People often talk about a "x amount horsepower" shot of no2. While it is ok to talk in such terms do keep in mind you may not that much power, you may get more. No2 is better decsribed in flow rates. There is also a big difference between "wet" and "dry" shots. Dry shots are pure No2 with no added fuel these are dangerous. No2 is nitous oxiode, all it does is supply more oxygen to the motor. "wet" shot is the way to go it adds fuel as well as no2 keeping the motor from leaning out. They cost more, there harder to install but 10 times the product and may save you're motor. No No2 is "safe" for you're motor the fact is any time you make more power you are putting more wear on youre motor. It's a game of risk of and reward. With that said I belive bang for you're buck you can not beat spray.
best of luck to you and youre future of sprayin and prayin
thanks nice write