Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

How to launch at the track???????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to launch at the track???????????

ORIGINAL: Gone_Broke

I bought a front strap off e-bay last night for $ 20. I think this is about the most I am willing to change to drag. I would rather take road trips and hit the twisties than drag.
I will say if you ae goning to the strip on a reg basis you will want to lower the bike not use the strapsto drop the Ft. 1 prob with the straps is you lock down the spring in the tube so you do not have any rebound and the dampening is changed if you do pull the wheel up and you will be ready for a hard hit when the ft comes back down. it is also hard on the fork seals because of the hard hit when coming down. it can cause wheel shake and that is not good at any speed. last year at around 125 I set the ft down and got a bad head shake it was the first time using the strap and the last time useing the strap. But it was notthe first time I had the ft off the ground to that point so I have a frame of referance.

The prob is you either have a fast strip bike or a fast road bike it can be done but itis a very very hard and expencive thing to do In most cases

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WORD!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok time for me to join in here... i'm debating some wheelie bars http://www.pingelonline.com/wheeliebars_honda.htm... i would never do the lengthen swingarm thing because i think they're hideous... IMO.. you guys can have'em.... just not for me... so anyhoo... i'm only planning on a few trips to the track this summer on my 929RR and don't need to get too crazy with add-ons.. i just want to ensure a 10 sec. e.t. and since i only weigh 155lbs it's hard for me to keep the front end down on a hard launch. can anybody tell me more about the benefits of front end straps? also where is the cut off from pants and a leather jacket to full leathers.. like in a car if you run 11.49 or quicker you need a 6 point roll cage... 11.99 or quicker a fire jacket.. years ago when i raced my '97 600 all i needed was a helmet, leather-ish jacket (i wore a brown suede leather jacket LOL ), gloves, jeans were suitable, and some boots.. no tennis shoes..

Old 03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and since i only weigh 155lbs it's hard for me to keep the front end down on a hard launch.
That "HIDEOUS" look is what prevents this...thats why we have stretched swingarms/bolt on extensions

also where is the cut off from pants and a leather jacket to full leathers..
9.90s and faster I believe, or at least at my track it is

Dude you dont need wheelie bars to run 10 sec passes on a 929...Ill run 10s all day long half asleep on a 929...dont run straps unless your stretched to be safe...if the front lifts, which it will if you pull out to hard, and its still stock wheelbase, when it comes down there will be little if no suspension travel and your fork seals are really gonna love you for the pounding they'll get...