Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

How to launch at the track???????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How to launch at the track???????????

I youre into weekend warrior racing go with extensions B-U-T, speaking from personal experience they are pretty easy to break,

thats why no companies will warranty them, at least I havnt seen any one who does, the load rating on the 6in extensions I believe

is 250 lbs each, I could be wrong but Im pretty sure, a 900RR weighs 400+lbs, so your extensions will take 500lbs before you exceed

recommended max load, lets say you spread the weight evenly with the bike at a stop, 200 on the front tire 200 on the back your

extensions are taking the brunt of the 200 right where they bolt on, think of the bolt on point as a pivot and the end of the

extension as a lever (you know, where your axle bolt goes through) when you sit on the bike your adding another 75 to 100 lbs or so

to the rear end so now youre maxed or close to the recommended limit of the extensions...now think about it, when you launch off

the line at the track what happens, the combined weight of the bike and the rider shifts to the back tire, combine that with the

torqe of the chain pulling the tire and the torsional forces on the swing arm as the rear squats from the weight shift and the twisting

motion if you slide side to side (not every launch is going to be perfectly straight) and youve doubled, tripled, possibly even

quadrupled the max load of those things and SNAP! Even if you dont race and ride on the street for the look just think of the

punishment they take when you hit a pothole or vibrations from uneven roads and dont even think of riding two up unless youre

looking for a good way to lose the old lady,lol...I ran mine for about three months straight then one day I did a 1st gear burnout for

the boys while leaving the park and everything went fine then all of a sudden the chain sounded like it was skipping on the sprocket,

I looked down and I could see the shadow of my chain damn near dragging the pavement, I pulled over and saw that the extension

had sheared right behind the bolt point and the only thing holding the rearend together was the other extension...I Pulled them off

and sent the swingarm to Thompsons custom cycles http://thompsonscustomcycles.com/and they welded up my swingarm with 8 in

solid billet extensions and an underbrace for a little over 600 dollars, thats including the shipping, I live in Hawaii and hes in north

carolina so thats about 200 bucks in shipping, they offer an exchange program but he didnt have any 900RR arms at the time, they

said it would take three weeks and three weeks it did, a week of that it was in the mail, you figure about 300 bucks for extensions

or spend the xtra $ for the real thing. Up to you....sorry so long BTW if you do the swingarm choose the V welds theyre much

stronger than a straight weldmine looks exactly like this one but with the stock over brace too...Name:  RuffryderrLabordayride008.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  195.7 KB

Old 01-08-2008, 09:08 PM

Oh I forgot to add that unless your really hardcore into the turns you can still have fun with a 6 or 8in stretch they even have a 4in

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet pants.

how many clutches can I expect to burn up while i'm learning this??
Heat is the real killer.

FWIW: I've done numerous runs up the strip on my FZ1 and the factory-original clutch is still in it.

Care to guess how many miles are on that clutch?

Point is, don't burn it and it should last quite a while. Learn to engage the clutch and roll into the throttlequick enough to avoid overheatingthe clutch platesbut slow enough so you don't launch the front end.

Simple, right? It takes practice.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:19 AM

Damn awesome info... Thanks to everyone for the input. I think I will just save up for an extended swingarm. Does anyone have an extra f4i 600 swingarm laying around?

Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 PM

Yeah, I agree that a aftermarket swingarm or a stock arm with weld on extensions would be safer BUT, a 250lbs load rating for bolt on extentions???? I have seen 550lbs Busas and zx14 pull low 1.40 and some in the 1.30s 60ft times all day and had these bolt ons for years. I have also seen them break the bolts off and come apart, but I have not seen or heard of the extention itself breaking. That also doesn't mean that it is not possiable. I have some on my 600, when I first got them the bolts on the right side only had about three threads going into the other side b/c the break hanger was not machined correctly. A little grinding and they fit perfect. no problems yet, have about 800 drag racing miles on them.
Oh yeah, on the 07 600rr it is one inch shorter wheelbase than the rest, I could 60ft better at stock wheelbase??? go figure.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:54 PM

if you like to drag a knee ( as i do :P ) leave that swing arm alone .. go do a track day and see what that bike will really do .. if you would rather do more drag then anything then by all means go for it . i'v taken my stock 07 600RR to the drag strip and i'v only been there once with this bike .. made 3 runs .. ran 11.38,11.45,11.39 .... but i'd rather be draging knees then running 1/4 mile strech :P

Old 01-09-2008, 11:29 PM

Thompsons makes em too but he personally told me that, and I quote "I wont warrantee them for Sh*t" Physics my friend, physics...maybe the load rating might be a little higher but think real hard about it and it makes a lot of sense...at least in my opinion...and for thompson to tell me that (a man whose been building swingarms for years and knows the risks of a faulty swingarm) it all made sense...yeah they are engineered to be as strong as possible but I still broke mine and I know of two other incidents too

Old 01-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Dude you should be running mid to high 10s easy, I was runningyour times on my 1991 gsxr 750

Old 01-09-2008, 11:42 PM

I bought a front strap off e-bay last night for $ 20. I think this is about the most I am willing to change to drag. I would rather take road trips and hit the twisties than drag.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:55 PM

Straps??!! Ewwwwwww!!

petrorr- I'd love to go heads up with youif we ever cross paths. Your stretched and dropped900(?) against either bike in my sig.

Quick Reply: How to launch at the track???????????