Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Drag Strip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag Strip Suggestions

Never been to the strip on a bike. Only twice in my now sold GMC Syclone that ran 12's. I'm looking for some advice on how to drag, espically launch.

I'm on a 05f4i and i'm scared as **** i'm going to wheelie right off the thing if I launch wrong. I have learned how to clutchless shift and I think once I get going i'll do fairly well, but I don't know about the launch.

I have heard people tie down their front ends...how do you do this?

How else can I launch without looking like an idiot and flying off the thing?

I am really interested in learning how to drag bikes, but am 100% new and am not sure where to start. I'll be going to spencerraceway in Rochester, NY if anyone is familiar.

THanks!

Old 07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Default RE: Drag Strip Suggestions

dont feel bad,im still a bit scared to hit it hard at the launch.if you are serious about racing it quite often.go ebay and buy a lowering strap,i bought on off a guy on there for like 20 bucks.the way i hooked it is to remove 1 caliper bolt and buy one a bit longer and hook the ends there,then i passed it over the lower triple tree.have someone sit on the bike and grab the front brake and push down,at the same time,pull on the strap until you have about 2 or inches or so of your tubes left exposed.also,you will want to push your fork tubes 2 inches or so thru the top triple tree too,that will help keep the bike down.as for now,rev it up to about 5 thousand rpms and feather the clutch as good as you can while giving some throttle.that should get you out of the hole ok.good luck

Old 07-18-2008, 11:54 AM

I just took my bike to the track for the first time last Friday and worked on my launch pretty much all night. Apparently NHRA rules are if you go over 125mph you need leather pants. But when you come up to the line, spread your legs as far behind you as you can, this causes you to have your chest and all your weight laying on the tank. I revved mine to about 10K and feathered the clutch as fast as possible without pulling a wheelie or spinning the tire. I didn't spin at all but did do some wheelies. I was able to get 1.81 60ft. times with no suspension mods at all. Good luck, let us know how you do!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:30 AM

screw it man, just ride with the front wheel in the air all the way down the track, give the fans something to watch!

Old 08-15-2008, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: dusterdude

dont feel bad,im still a bit scared to hit it hard at the launch.if you are serious about racing it quite often.go ebay and buy a lowering strap,i bought on off a guy on there for like 20 bucks.the way i hooked it is to remove 1 caliper bolt and buy one a bit longer and hook the ends there,then i passed it over the lower triple tree.have someone sit on the bike and grab the front brake and push down,at the same time,pull on the strap until you have about 2 or inches or so of your tubes left exposed.also,you will want to push your fork tubes 2 inches or so thru the top triple tree too,that will help keep the bike down.as for now,rev it up to about 5 thousand rpms and feather the clutch as good as you can while giving some throttle.that should get you out of the hole ok.good luck
Wait, are you talking about your brake calipers?

Old 09-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Yes, that's the best place to anchor the straps, and they were designed to be mounted like that. [8D]