Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Couple of drag questions..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of drag questions..

Interested in doing a track day in 09 or at least a drag 1/4..I was curious..what all is needed to do a 1/4 drag.Just full gear?..what else is needed?what do they require i guess u can say

Old 12-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Couple of drag questions..

the track I go to requires a jacket I.e. riding jacket with armor like the one you would normally wear when riding, long pants (jeans), a helmet, gloves, and an ignition kill switch (pingle switch). if you run 9.90s and under then you need to have a full suit on. I forget where they draw the line, but there is a point where you need to get licensed and take a physical but im pretty sure that irrelevant in your case. your F2 will pull high to low 11s consistantly once you get your launches down. a high ten is possible but don't get too excited cause I struggled to get my 99 900RR into the tens until I finally stretched it. only then was I able to hang out in the 10 second world on every run. 10.40 is my quickest time and that was 2 years ago. all stock. I've since rebuilt the motor, changed sprockets and installed a jet kit...just wish I had the time to get back to the track. good luck on your runs and let us know what you pull.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 AM

ORIGINAL: petrorr

the track I go to requires a jacket I.e. riding jacket with armor like the one you would normally wear when riding, long pants (jeans), a helmet, gloves, and an ignition kill switch (pingle switch). if you run 9.90s and under then you need to have a full suit on. I forget where they draw the line, but there is a point where you need to get licensed and take a physical but im pretty sure that irrelevant in your case. your F2 will pull high to low 11s consistantly once you get your launches down. a high ten is possible but don't get too excited cause I struggled to get my 99 900RR into the tens until I finally stretched it. only then was I able to hang out in the 10 second world on every run. 10.40 is my quickest time and that was 2 years ago. all stock. I've since rebuilt the motor, changed sprockets and installed a jet kit...just wish I had the time to get back to the track. good luck on your runs and let us know what you pull.
the igition kill switch (pingle switch) where can i find one..isnt the kill switch on the bike good enough?whats the difference?

Old 12-11-2008, 09:22 AM

He's talking about a lanyard that attaches to your wrist that kills the motor if you come off the bike. Some guys just attach a little eyelet to the factory kill switch and hook their lanyard to IT.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a pingle switch, or dead mans switch is an ignition kill. its a special switch that wires into the ignition and has a lanyard or leash that straps around your wrist. the point of this switch is for if you ever end up losing control of your bike and fall off then the leash will pull a pin on the switch and kill the ingition so the bike don't run away and kill someone else. to reset just put the pin in again. google search pingle switch. they are around 70 buck I guess and mount on your clip ons. I've seen some ghetto set ups to. like taking the male and female ends of an extension cord, wire one side into the ignition, splice the other side and just twist the wires together and plug it into the other one. haha...a screw through the regular switch with a piece of wire for a leash...thing about that is if you get off the bike or forget that you got the leash on you run the risk of breaking that switch.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM

if you`re running at an nhra track,you must wear a leather jacket,leather gloves and boots that cover the ankle.if you`re going faster than 120 mph in the quarter you also need leather pants.if you are running stock switch gear you do not need the lanyard unless you`re running in the 10`s(i think).

Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 AM

This is a direct quote from the 2004 NHRA rule book, (the newest one I have):

IGNITION SHUTOFF
Motorcycles 10.99 (6.99*) seconds or quicker must be equipped with a positive ignition cutoff switch attached to the rider with a lanyard. OEM cutoff permitted in place of lanyard. Switch must be on low-voltage side if the ignition circuit. Many stock machines are equipped with a handlebar-mounted switch that can have a lanyard easily attached for the above purpose.

Note: (6.99*) denotes 1/8 mile ET.

Also, at my local tracks, Lakeland Speedway and Orlando Speed World, the leather pants rule is 120 mph at Speed World and 7.0 at Lakeland (1/8 mile). The leather pants rule for NHRA is 120 mph and above and requires either a one piece leather suit or leather pants that are joined to the jacket with a zipper at the waist.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM

A guy I used to work with works weekends at the local drag strip, he said you had to have leather pants if you go over 120, regardless of whether you are hitting 120 or not you need a leather jacket, leather gloves, and boots that cover the ankle. He never said anything about an ignition cutoff but I never asked so I suppose that could be something at this track as well

Old 12-24-2008, 12:19 PM

a lot of that depends on the track itself too.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:17 PM

ORIGINAL: petrorr

...a screw through the regular switch with a piece of wire for a leash...thing about that is if you get off the bike or forget that you got the leash on you run the risk of breaking that switch.
The hot lick for that would be to use some heavy duty Velcro. I use it to attach the 2 way radios and meters in all our taxis, and as a clip to put the mike on the dash without drilling any holes, works great for all that, I see no reason it wouldn't work for the kill switch too. [sm=smiley2.gif] [sm=smiley16.gif]