Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Building an 01 929 drag bike.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:28 AM
Too Smart For My Own Good
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrkido
I'm 190lbs and don't have a limit on what to spend. I just want to build something I can take to the track with friends and bracket race not looking to build a record breaker just something to have fun on since I can't get it street legal I just figured I'd make a drag bike .
well, if that were the case 8" would be more than enough for a stretch. if i were you this is what i'd do

954 motor

leave the lower plastics off and get a race header made, once you lower the bike it will be impossible to get it on a trailer much less into the back of a truck :-(

drop the tubes in the tripple, put the handle bars off and put them on top of the tripple tree (you can only lower the bike a little bit w/o doing this because the tubes are tapered.

pingle lowering link, start w/ 1" + pingle strut (i havent used one but their lowering link has worked flawlessly so far)

do some 520 sprockets and you're going to need well over 130 links in your new chain.

power commander, timing box, quick shifter

just some ideas.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:34 PM

hey bro thanks for the input! Sounds like you know your shut but why a 954 motor?and should I just go with a 6 inch swing arm? Wish you where in Cali to help me LOL but again bro thanks

Old 05-16-2009, 07:10 PM

hey bro thanks for the input! Sounds like you know your shut but why a 954 motor?and should I just go with a 6 inch swing arm? Wish you where in Cali to help me LOL but again bro thanks
Isn't a 954 a bored out 929 motor?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 AM

well, i only speak from experience. no bs involved. i suggest the 954 because it will give you a higher starting point to make more power, if you really want to stay with the 929 you can still do some things to make enough power to make a fun bike.

btw, i wish i was in cali too. minneSNOWta gets old.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:18 PM

haha yea i here ya i cant do snow im from tx and moved here cause im in the military. yea the 954 motor would be something i would do after i get the bike all set up and running down the track, right now im trying to find a swing arm.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:13 PM

haha yea i here ya i cant do snow im from tx and moved here cause im in the military. yea the 954 motor would be something i would do after i get the bike all set up and running down the track, right now im trying to find a swing arm.
i got one through thompson cycle, i would NOT recommend going through them. took me 2x as long as they said to get it, been waiting a month to get my core money back. very happy with the arm tho.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:10 PM

I run a 929 in a sportsman bracket in aus.
Quickest so far is 9.24 @142mph
My bike is 8 inch over with bars, Lockup is custom as most are for hondas, The extention on the swing arm is welded on tubing keeping the oridginal line of the swingarm( note the swingarm tapers to the end and is different on both sides) This was done by using two L shaped pieces of ali to make the tapered arms with new billet axle blocks. A plate under the joint form the original to the extention of the swingarm for strength and on top of the joint are two shaped plates sitting on edge which also make for the top mount for the bars.
Motor is manily stock, A mild set of cams and only 10 thou off the head. Mild port and polish job. The bike doesnt run the fuel injection system, I run a dyna 4000super pro ignition and lectron carbs. As the intake ports are about 17 degrees frrom vertical I made a 60 degree manifold using crome moly tube.
Front end is all 250 gear, This saved about 7Kg or 16 pound. The bike now weighs in at 172 kg or 379 pound and I weigh 62 Kg or 136 pound
The fuel tank is custom, only big enough to do 2 laps and the bodywork is all fibreglass.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:00 AM

If it were me, I would lower it and put a 6in arm on it. Nitrous will work, but unless you really get into the engine with alot of cash, you won't be able to shoot much nitrous to it. But if you want to jump out there and really have fun with it, build yourself or buy yourself a turbo kit. Don't be like everyone else who jumps on the GSXR bandwagon, be different and ride your wings proud. Make them respect a Honda!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:38 AM
Banned
Default my bike went

i got it to go 5 80s with a 20 shot i have come to find out that i spun a bearing lol so i set it to the side it has race bodywork and a cut tank two brothers exhaust and a pc3 commander please pm me if you need anything, cut forks, extentions ect.... 704 222 8057

Attached Thumbnails Building an 01 929 drag bike.-.jpg  

Last edited by rock28star; 06-05-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Banned
Default my 929

i busted alot of 1000's wit it ..and as for that 600 that said he would beat you i dont think so when you have it tuned it is a deadly et bike i just dont have the funds to rebuild mine but there again i am also 140 suited....704 222 8057

Quick Reply: Building an 01 929 drag bike.