Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Acceleration question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration question

What is the proper way to get the most acceleration out of a sportbike in a straight line?

From what I read some sportbikes will flip over under full throttle. Some will wheelie. Does this mean that you can not use the full power untilhigher gears? (I'm not referring to taking off from a stop)

How about specific to the 07 600 RR? The front end has come up on me a couple of times in first and I need to know if I should back down on the throttle or not. It has not come up from dumping the clutch (I dont do that), but just a power wheelie at ~ 11k rpm. I have no problem shifting clutchless, but I just dont want to flip over backwards, nor do I want to shift or let off too early. Most power is 11+ k rpm, no? Do you take 1st to redline?

Last question... Is it different for literbikes?

Thanks!!!

Old 08-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Default RE: Acceleration question

Properly? Lower it front and rear.......strap the front end so it wont get a run at the suspension, then gear it. The more you gear it, it will likely help it from coming up on you as it goes through the gear so fast it doesnt even have time. Lowering it and strapping it will make it nearly impossible for a 600 to power itself up in any gear. IF you still have a problem, get an extended swing arm or you can get a longer chain and move the rear wheel to the farthest back position it will go (not much but every little bit helps)

As for liter bikes.............it's a little different in that it will do the same thing with more violence and do it at 4500 instead of 11k. I have yet to ride a bike that will climb on it's own in 2nd with out a hump in the road or a tug on the bars. Liter bikes included. I'm sure they exist, but I'm also sure they aren't stock or anywhere near it.

As for letting off......if it will come over then yeah, i would suggest letting off. I dont doubt one bit that if you dont let off it will throw you off eventually so that should answer your question about that. I can take my 1000 to redline in first.........but only at around 1/2 throttle or maybea little more. It's quicker to short shift to 2nd and cane it.......but my bike will pull from 5k......yours not so much.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM

Awesome reply. I posted on a different site because this was not extremely active. I got a lot of responses, but alot were not helpful.

So, if you could change your technique a little to ride first gear a little longer, wouldnt it make you faster? Or is there nothing you can do without hardware mods? It just seems crappy to have all that power in 1st gear and not be able to use it all.

The 07 600 makes almost double the Thrust in 1st gear then in2nd, so I would guess this would be the same for your bike. (Or maybe this is limited by cc's)

BTW I'm not really referring to drag racing per se, but riding in general . I just didnt see a general motorcyling section on this site.

Old 08-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Well, theoretically yes.......if you could accelerate at full throttle in 1st gear it would be quite a bit quicker, but you simply can't do it unless you are lowered, strapped, and probably extended swing arm for a 1000. A 600 should be able to do it with just the lowering. My wifes R6 will stay down in 1st if you cane it and it's lowered an 1" all the way around............I doubt highly that simply lowering a 1000 would do it.

I can ride ride 1st gear all the way to redline, but only at around 1/2 to 5/8 throttle to keep it from coming up so it's faster to dive to 2nd and pour the throttle on..........You cant put enough weight on the front to keep it down in 1st gear. A 600 will probably stay down if you eat the dash.

Gearing it down theoretically makes1st harder to keep down but the thing with that is it goes through the power band that much faster, not allowing it to have time to come up on you. This is in extreme cases..............just going down one in the front will not make it that much more noticable, but it will help.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Exactly what I was looking for. I need to understand things so I can apply....

Thanks for your time!

Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Ty

This is a good thread. I often find myself changing my shift patterns for different applications. For instance, if just doing a 0-60 run, no shift is required so I ride first all the way out. But if I am running a 1/4 I will shift first low (8-10K) because a full throttle shift into second at higher rpm's can cause some unwanted results that slow me down more than shifting low does. There are people out there (myself not one of them) that can keep a full throttle wheelie under control and continue to shift up through the gears until it finally comes back down in fourth or so.

Because I can't do that, I find it easier to shift out of first at a point that feels comfortable for me then blast through second at or near full throttle. Third gear and up are all wide open because there is no longer any threat to do anything detrimental to my run. Whatever your shift pattern and throttle application, make sure it is something that you are comfortable with and are familiar with how the bike is going to react. The biggest mistake we can make is trying to outride our own skill level. Don't let a more experienced rider convince you that pushing the bike to it's limits is a good idea until you are confident that you can correct the situation if the bike does not want to cooperate with you.

One other thing to consider is your riding position. Under hard acceleration, you will obviously be pushed toward the back of the bike and upward. You do not want your own weight to exacerbate any front wheel lift any more than it has to. When looking for hard acceleration, get down on your tank, stay there, and try to keep your feet and arms in control of your body weight and stay forward as much as possible. Weight transfer under acceleration should be as minimal as possible to avoid looping yourself over by inadvertantly shifting weight back.

Should have mentioned before, I ride a 1000 so I am not familiar with how your particular powerband works. Some people here are extremely experienced track and strip riders and can handle heavily modified liter-bikes with no concern for the above mentioned points. I am sure that they have some very valuable input into this topic. Let's keep this thread going and hear how each person handles race acceleration based on their skill level and what things we each have on our mind when going all-out.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Just got an 03 600 RR in April, the season is almost over but i want to take a couple spins down the track, any suggestions on what to leave at? I plan on starting off at idle to see how the bike reacts, would 6k be too high and have my laying flat on my ***?

Old 08-26-2007, 12:05 PM

I would rev to 9-11000 rpm and slip the clutch at launch till bike is well underway, then you will be able to feel when to let out fully and keep flooring it.