Technique Question: Hard Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Technique Question: Hard Acceleration

OK, getting the feel of a bike back pretty fast - but have some questions:

1. What happens if I power out of a turn, the rear loses grip just a little and begins to step to the side?

In my mind, if I let off too abruptly, the weight transfers back towards the front, the rear gets lighter at first, but then regains traction - isn't aligned with front & a potential HIGH side can develop. Is this true?

If I power on a bit more, I tend to lose more grip in the rear, the potential for a LOW side occurs - correct?

So if I'm powering pretty hard out of a turn, rear steps out a little, it becomes a fine line between keeping the throttle on enough to keep things about as they are until you hook up in more of a straight line - right? Smooth, steady throttle control, maybe back off JUST a touch - but just a little touch right?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Default RE: Technique Question: Hard Acceleration

yes vette your pretty much correct in your understanding of the kinematics, however you should not "back off the throttle" if you start to step the rear out, rather you should focus on maintaining the throttle position.

I'm pretty much quoting keith code here because I just got done reading twist of the wrist II and he explains it really well... Correct cornering technique is to "roll on" the throttle after the intitial turn in to help stabalize the bike and maintain your line. You should not be hitting the apex and gunning it, rather you should have steady throttle control and "roll on" the throttle gently to bring the power on and get a nice fast exit out of the corner. IF by chance you get a little greedy with it and break traction, simply stop rolling on the throttle. this does not mean to cut the throttle, rather just stop advancing it, then as you begin to lean the bike up on the exit the rear will stabalize itself and regain traction the more upright you become.

Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM

Excellent! Thx Soda! I'm going to look for his book. Got any online suggestions of where to buy it?

Old 05-05-2006, 12:19 PM

picked up TTW II at borders... like 20 bucks. probably amazon would be the best if your not in a hurry.

Old 05-05-2006, 03:38 PM

"When in doubt, gas it!" However, our survival reactions tell us to chop the throttle, which will induce a high-side.

You are practicing these techniques on the track right?

Old 05-05-2006, 03:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

You are practicing these techniques on the track right?
yeah, like I said in the other thread take it to the track and you'll learn this stuff pretty quick, a track school will teach you a ton

your question has already been anwered though, chopping the throttle will most likely cause a highside and gassing too much may cause a lowside, try to be smooth and above all else DON'T PANIC

Old 05-05-2006, 04:58 PM

Appreciate it all. Haven't been to the track yet. Just have had the bike for 1 month. Doing a little practise on some very rural roads where I can see a long way in both directions to make sure no traffic coming (it's NOT a blind corner at all). I ride carefully through the corner, then turn around & come back through it over and over just gaining a feel for the bike at different speeds & different lines through the corner. Again, nothing radical or truly fast, and no traffic whatsoever -- I check each time.

I only felt the back end step out slightly just once yesterday. It was very slight.

Thanks all,

Old 05-06-2006, 02:36 PM

DISCLAIMER...............I'M NOT TELLING YOU OR ANYONE ELSE TO TRY THIS but just wait. Power out of corner just right and the front wheel will come off the ground sideways and start to stairghten out the bike on the way up. The first time it happen I wasn't trying to do it. I'm not even going to lie, lean overed, on the gas, and it started coming up. Got me a little shock but just rode it out. The wheel might have came up 18-20" just don't upset the balance of the bike. To hell w/ clutching it up, I love the feeling of coming out of a corner on one wheel under pure accelaration!

Old 05-06-2006, 03:11 PM

I got it up to 10-o-clock in second gear doing that once...

Old 05-06-2006, 05:56 PM

Yep, i'll agree with most of the above. I use the old position, speed, gear technique for when approaching corners at a decent kind of speed. But i will say that being in the right gear for the corner is v important as the bike will be steadied on the way in & on the way out.

Quick Reply: Technique Question: Hard Acceleration