Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning to paint my bike

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Planning to paint my bike

How bad is the damage...if its just rash I use Bondo body putty, if its bad you can use epoxy resin...but this takes more work and you have to make sure it bonds with the plastic...just rough up a small patch of a non visible part on the back side of one of the fairings with 100grit or so and put a small dab and let it cure over night and then try to pry it off with a screw driver or razor and if it comes off at all it wont work..but it allways has for me. If its an actual crack or break i fiberglass the back and then use fiberglass resin for the front..once again make sure it will bond.....this takes practice to get it right but its a good thing to learn how to do. As far as painting I allways do 3 coats of good primer...then lightly sand with 600 grit or so and just brush off the fairings...then paint again with one more coat of primer...this will fill in any small scratches you missed or cant see..let it sit overnight...then i do 3 or 4 coats of the actual paint...let it sit...I like to clear coat over any decals or vinyls I put on so thatd be the next step...then i do 4 coats of clear coat...maybe up to 6 if you want to be able to buff out any small scratches in the future and keep the gloss on for a long time. The majority of how a paintjob turns out is in the prep...so take allot of time on it....I use a palmsander for any big areas that arent too curvey, But be carefull with this cause you can get carried away. Hope this helps...correct me everyone if i missed something or have more info