CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Detailing (https://cbrforum.com/forum/detailing-36/)
-   -   Planning to paint my bike (https://cbrforum.com/forum/detailing-36/planning-paint-my-bike-46855/)

matty 08-09-2007 02:10 PM

Planning to paint my bike

Hey Guys,

I just plastic welded the cracks in my fairings, I'm planning on sanding them down and filling the scuffs with poly-flex probably tonight or tomorrow.

A friend of mine has a spray guy i can use, but we both have no clue about the steps to go about painting, what type of paint to use, what kind of sand paper, etc.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or has a link to a step by step thread it would be great!

Thanks a lot!

fusor 09-10-2007 03:49 PM

RE: Planning to paint my bike

i dont know about any threads on here but i can guide you thru the process---- after you fill the plastic you need to prime it---- use urethane primer--- Transtar is pretty good and isn't that expensive---- let dry over night---- then wetsand the primer with 400 grit sandpaper and grey scotchbright pad the rest of what needs painted---- Right before you paint you need to whipe down with alcohol and watermix and tack cloth off---------paint- get a quality paint from a paint jobber--- i prefer PPG or nexa autocolor --- it can be pretty expensive but its worth it--- and Transtar clear works--- i Prefer Euro clear--- its super easy to spray and looks great------- some DO NOTS-- wash your hands--- oils from your fingers cause fish eyes in the paint----- dont sand the color then clear, if you have to sand the color at all reapply the color over it before clear--- practice on something - i use old hoods and fenders i have laying around---- any other questions?????

dawoonj 09-10-2007 05:45 PM

Can you explain plastic welding??? What would I need to do it???

NeverL8 09-18-2007 03:51 AM

how did it come out? did you turn into picasso? got pix?

Asmittie84 12-28-2007 11:20 PM

Fusor.

When you say "Don't sand then clearcoat". Wouldn't doing some very fine sanding smooth the paint out and make a better finished product? Of course after you wipe the bike back down again. Or should it just go on smoothly period?

Because I'm repaiting my bike becuase the previous owner did a terrible job of rattle canning the bike. Here is how the bike started...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2295/...558269c9_o.jpg
And here is how it looks now.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2049/...b88703d6_o.jpg

What sucks is I have to go through a heavy layer of Rattle Can Gloss to get to the regular paint. I still have more to go but am hoping I'm on the right path.

I have been using 100grit to get all the junk off and to do some rounding off. Once I get most of the black off I'm going to move up to a 200 grit or finer if that would be better and go back over the bike.

I do have access to a paint booth.

Also (For anyone) how well do you think my sanding is on the bike or could I do better. I still have more to go but I am new to painting and body work and want to make sure I'm on the right path.

mhonda98 12-31-2007 08:27 PM

Hey Asmittie I would recommend sanding the 100grit scratches with 220grit then prime and then finish with 320grit or 400grit if you are going to use sealer.If not I would finish it in 600grit.As far as sanding the clearcoat after it has been painted.I would wait 24hrs after baking then hand sand it with 1200 or 1500grit thanuse a highspeed buffer to get thescratchesout.You can go all the way to 2000 or 3000 grit paper makes it easy to polish out.The only thing I will warn you about is if you haven't ever buff fresh paint don't start on motorcycle fairings they heat up very quick and you will burn through the paint,which results in resanding and repainting.Good luck.If you have anymore questions let me know.

fusor 01-03-2008 04:28 PM

i was saying do not sand the color coat then clear----- you can sand your clear and buff it, thats no problem..... unless you dont know how to buff....... when you spray the color on the bike it sets up with a uniform appearance so that it looks like one color when cleared. if it were a metalic color you could make the flake look uneven.... any more?s

mhonda98 01-03-2008 09:07 PM

+1 Fusor I understood want you were saying.I thought I would clarify for you.I'm right with you on the buffing part.If you don't know how don't try.HAHA

Asmittie84 01-03-2008 09:09 PM

I'm not sure about the Buffing process. So I'll likely have someone else do it.

I know a guy who does body work for a living and has his own paintbooth at his house where he does side work. He painted my S10 grill & rubber air dam years ago and did great work. So I'll likely leave the actual painting(Not primer) and clear coat stuff up to him. While I do the body work and priming.

I guess I'm a little nervous about doing body work because I haven't done it before on something so complex.

For clarity I'll seperate it some...
So my plan is to do some opoxy/plastic repair(I have gashes and cracks)work(Any recommendations?)
Then sand all that smooth which will consist of:
100grit
220grit (What about wet sanding?)
Clean bike with lint free rag and alcohol(Should be done in paint booth?)
then Primer(In a paint booth)
Now after primer I'm guessing some more sanding to smooth the primer out.
Probably use 400+ grit
Then clean paint again with alcohol and let the guy paint the bike

I should be able to ask him but he mainly does cars and not bikes so I want to be sure.

Appreciate the help.

mhonda98 01-03-2008 09:45 PM

As far as epoxy I use 3m products for that its a two part epoxy that is for plastix repairs.You can get it from most automotive paint stores(pretty expensive but works great).For the gashes a company called Rage makes a filler for plastic repairs.It works just like bond except it made for flexible parts.Don't wet sand the 220grit.Sand the primer with 320 or 400grit(dry sand).Then finish with 600 wet and dry off.If this guy you know has painted cars he should clean it with a prep solvent or plastic cleaner before he paints it.You shouldn't have to worry about doing anything with it prior to painting.Just make sure if you have any bare plastic showing,make sure he uses an adhesion promoter on it or the paint will not stick.Most of the products you can get from Sherwin Williams Automotive or PPg paint Stores in Georgia.