Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help on dent/scratch/paint transfer DIY botch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on dent/scratch/paint transfer DIY botch

Ok, this is not for my bike (had to put the f4 away due to snow) but I thought someone may be able to offer some advice.

I had someone do a nice door swing into my car and it left a dent (nothing I can do about that) and a scatch/paint transfer from their door onto mine. Thinking I could get that ugly blue paint spot off my silver car easily I got some sand paper and some water and wet sanded the blue paint off...and it looked fine until the water dried revealing a big dull spot where I had sanded. I assume I have sanded the clearcoat right off (I know what was I thinking?) What can I do to make this look better, can I buy some clearcoat touch up and just brush it on or can I get some wax/ polish to restore the shine? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Default RE: help on dent/scratch/paint transfer DIY botch

waxing made it look a little bit better but the dull spot is still very noticiable. Should I brush some clearcoat touchup on it or is there something else I can do. I don't want it to look worse.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:45 PM

try to polish it with some rubing compound and a buffer

Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM

I actually (just yesterday) just brushed on a bit of clear-coat and let it dry. There were some noticeable brush marks if you looked closly so I today polished the spot with a slightly abrasive car polish. It seemed to do the trick. Of course the dent is still there but the ugly blue paint gash is gone and you can barely see that the clear coat was redone.

Thanks for the reply awwmann, What do you usually use for a rubing compound?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Anything you're going to do by hand sucks. If you wet sanded then you took some clear off and just patched it over with more clear. Its gotta be buffed with either a polish or compound and a buffer.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:30 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Ah an area of my expertise. Allow me to shed some knowledge

For future reference you could of just used laquer thinner and wiped the blue paint off without harming your own paint. Ive done it a million times when I detailed cars.

When you wet sanded the blue paint off, what grit did you use? You should of used 2000 grit wet or dry. I have used 1500 in different situations and gone back over it with 2000 and that worked also.

Since you painted over the spot you sanded with a brush and clear coat. Wet sand it smooth with 2000 grit. If its a small area that you sanded you can hand rub the spot back to life. I always use 3M rubbing compound and finish it up with 3M Hand Glaze. If you have any experience using a buffer. I would use a Foam pad with the rubbing compound. Then finish it up with the hand glaze.

Quick tip for future situations. My wifes camaro was keyed a few years back. All the way through the base coat. I bought some touch up paint that matched closely. Filled in all of the keyed areas. Then wet sanded the areas with 1500 grit sandpaper til it was smooth. Then I buffed the areas I sanded with extra cut rubbing compound, then regular rubbing compound, and finished it off with hand glaze. When I was finished you couldnt even see where the car had been keyed.