F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Title transfer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Title transfer?

Hey guys, so i'm picking up my F4i this upcoming weekend. It's located in Virginia, and i live in Philadelphia, so i'm a PA resident. I was told by a friend that i need to get the title notarized, or in other words, get the title transfered in to my name, while i'm in Va. Since i've never purchased a motorcycle out of state, i don't know what the procedure is.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to put it, i figured since i'm buying a F4i, you guys would let it slide .

Any PA residents with experience in buying a bike out of state have any input? Thanks!

I should also mention i've been to the PennDot website, and they were fairly vague on details. I think if i don't find a good answer today, i might just call a autotag place and ask them.

Last edited by Dragondima; 01-04-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: adding more information
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 AM

I now here in Missouri,if you get a title from any other state it must have a legit bill of sale
you can download them or go into dmv and pick on up

idk if this helps but its at least one thing i'd do for sho

good luck

Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by crashking
I now here in Missouri,if you get a title from any other state it must have a legit bill of sale
you can download them or go into dmv and pick on up

idk if this helps but its at least one thing i'd do for sho

good luck
Yea i have a bill of sale, that was just the agreement of the purchase was to have one. In PA, it's not required, but recommended.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought out of state twice. Did the transaction at the local bank & signed the title (witnessed by bank official). Also got a Bill of Sale & had it notarized at the bank w/ all parties present. Took the documents to my DMV to get them issued in my name & state.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM

I went to Mississippi to purchase a car, not sure if it's different. But, Im in Illinois and the seller just signed the title over like normal, I took it to my local DMV, and just had it transferred to my name. That's it, nothing else!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:51 PM

What state are you in nrm?

Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 PM

I think nrm said he's from Illinois, thanks for the info. It seems like the signing of the title is all i need.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I bought out of state twice. Did the transaction at the local bank & signed the title (witnessed by bank official). Also got a Bill of Sale & had it notarized at the bank w/ all parties present. Took the documents to my DMV to get them issued in my name & state.
+1

Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

If you're bringing a car into pa from a state that only needs a.signature then yes. I've titled Michigan cars in pa no problems. If the exporting state needs a notary then the title should be notarized

Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Philadelphia and got my bike from a guy in New Jersey. That count?

Actually I did not have the title notarized. The person I bought Ororo from was the original owner and still had a lien on her from Honda Finance. We used a Bill of Sale, witnessed by 2 people (one my friend, one his) for a deposit. With the balance being due once he received the clear title.

Title came in, he signed it over and I took it to a title place (Alex Auto Tags at Broad and Christian). Paid the tax, title and transferred my plates over from my F3 to my F4i. It was not required that the title be notarized. But it is an excellent safeguard. A notary seal will bear official weight that the previous owner intended to sell and agrees to anything written in the Bill of Sale (bike is in working condition, no defects he's aware of unless explicitly stated, yadayadayada).

Quick Reply: Title transfer?