Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody else using Pledge to clean&shine their bikes??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BadS1
Pledge is probably the worst thing you can put on your paint. It may look good but over time you will get a build up. That will be very hard to get off without damage. How do I know??? I own a commercial cleaning service of 18 years. The product is produced right here where I live in the City of Racine,Wisconsin. I use the product but from time to time we have to strip it from furniture to start over. It does build up in time.
That might be so w/ furniture but w/ fairings, Pledge, Plexus, Honda Polish, etc, is actually removing layers of road-grime.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:23 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pledge is probably the worst thing you can put on your paint. It may look good but over time you will get a build up. That will be very hard to get off without damage. How do I know??? I own a commercial cleaning service of 18 years. The product is produced right here where I live in the City of Racine,Wisconsin. I use the product but from time to time we have to strip it from furniture to start over. It does build up in time.
I just got back from my buddys bike shop and he said hes never had any kind of problem with using pledge on his show bikes since 1980. These are streetbikes(mostly Hyabusa)too with all the plastic. So thats what...31 years of using it on his show bikes(some are worth over $30,000). He knows with experience so I will continue to use it faithfully.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep a good coat of wax on the painted parts, headlight, and shield and use Quick Detailer (Meguairs, Mothers, etc) with a clean microfiber to clean it. Works great and stuff doesnt stick to the paint.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
That might be so w/ furniture but w/ fairings, Pledge, Plexus, Honda Polish, etc, is actually removing layers of road-grime.
To each there own. Thing is is pledge is wax. The others are polishes. The one is designed for wood or laminents. Polishes don't have wax in them.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawF4
I just got back from my buddys bike shop and he said hes never had any kind of problem with using pledge on his show bikes since 1980. These are streetbikes(mostly Hyabusa)too with all the plastic. So thats what...31 years of using it on his show bikes(some are worth over $30,000). He knows with experience so I will continue to use it faithfully.
Tell your buddy to talk to a PPG rep. Or better yet call House of Kolor and ask them if its good to put a furniture polish on automotive paint. I don't care what your buddy says. Its going to build up over time. Then your screwed. Your buddy builds show bikes. I use that chemical spray in a commercial business. I know what it does and where its suppose to be used properly. Does your buddy paint??? 30 grand isn't alot for a bike. My last bike had 8 in paint alone and it doesn't have near the body work a Busa has. BTW whats the name of his shop?? I've met quite a few top bike builders these last couple years showing my old Buell. They'd never think of using a furniture polish with a citris base to boot.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

He has.He works with PPG guys all the time. He owns a custom bike shop. Thanx for your view on things though. Look at my bike bro, pledge representive I am.

Old 10-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

You better get a pic up of these bikes so everybody can see what your talking about. Maybe some sample pics of the Pledge devestation you talk about??

Old 10-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Banned

If you read the whole thread, it also states to put it on with one microfiber and wipe any excess off with another clean microfiber...maybe thats where the "build-up" doesnt come from???

Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To each there own. Thing is is pledge is wax. The others are polishes. The one is designed for wood or laminents. Polishes don't have wax in them.
BadS1,

I think you posted trying to help...& your intentions were good. I applaud you for that. However, you're simply incorrect in your above statement.

Basic Pledge (yellow can), which we're all talking about here, is *NOT* wax...says this on the Pledge can itself. It does say "POLISH" on the can as well.

Do I have proof?...absolutely...

Here is the product description on Pledge's own webpage that says "leaves surfaces with no waxy buildup". http://www.pledge.com/furniture-care/default.aspx Pledge lists that its good on many other surfaces, not just wood.

Finally, here are pics of an actual can that I have right here. You can see printed in plain English right on the can, "NO WAX FORMULA, NO RESIDUE BUILD-UP."

Name:  P1030857-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  57.6 KB Name:  P1030851-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  72.5 KB

We all have preferences. Clearly, yours is against Pledge. That's ok. Personally, I primarily use Honda Polish. I'm not going to knock anybody that uses Pledge though. Believe it or not, it has been used by many riders for yrs to polish their bikes. Happy motoring.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Banned

Nobodys right, nobodys wrong but it works awesome! The fact remains. Or maybe everybodys right and everybodys wrong?? Hmmmm?? To each their own. Everybody, do what you want.

Quick Reply: Anybody else using Pledge to clean&shine their bikes??