CBR of the Month This section is specifically for issues pertaining to CBR of the month nominations and voting!

CONTEST (For Graphic Designers)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CONTEST (For Graphic Designers)

Having done a couple of low-tech bike calendars for my local motorcycle-club, I know what a bitch it is to find all these events, and get them in the right datebox, with the right font size and so on. What about if there's several events on the same day? That day/datebox will be clodded with text, very smallish and maybe force the designer to sizeup that datebox with the result the whole week gets upsized, and the calendar looks weird... That's OK in a free local club calender, but not in something intended to be payed for. Add an extra page instead with "Important Dates", and then people can write those dates themselves in the correct datebox if they wish, assuming you make the colour "writeable", which I hope. How many did you sell last year? 50? I tried to find info about number of copies, but I'm not sure, only found the initial order, which was 50 pcs. In that case, I guess you really need to make it, (qoute Kewl Breeze) "appeal to a wider audience". Making some dates red to mark US holidays is fine, I don't mind that, and the Printing shop probably has a template for calendars with "International Holidays" on the backside, I know most calendars here in Sweden has that anyway.

Still, I think it will be an AWESOME bike calendar, really looking forward to having it on my wall!

Edit: Are there gonna be babes in thongs in the calendar? Forget everything I've said, on second thought, just drop the whole date/month garbage and just give me babes!!! [8D]
Back to serious mode: If you think it looks boring with white month background, you could spice it up with a "waterstamp" of the CBRFORUM logo underneith the date grid?

Old 01-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Retired Moderator

The pics you've been seeing was a quick and dirty design I made up real quick (a long time ago even) to show a design of consistency, versus the chaotic way the last calendar looked with every page looking completely different.

Yes, the background will be light enough you can write onto it.
No, it will not have any holidays/events/etc. on it (unless admin tells me to add it)
No, it will not have babes (if you want a calendar with babes, I believe Sports Illustrated makes a rather tasteful calendar. )

This design will probably end up looking very different to the design in the above posts, with all feedback taken into consideration. The more pressing matter is getting all the photo's (as high-resolution as possible) in so I can start working with them. And please don't send in the ones that have been compressed to be thrown up on the internet. If you have the actual file that came off your camera, that is the high-res one I need, and you can either email it to me or one of the admins.

My email is:

jflure@hotmail.com.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Retired Moderator

I believe it was a contest a long time ago for the first calendar. (note when I actually posted up the calendar pics). Since then, I've been asked by Admin to do the poster this time. If they want to make it a contest still, I'm game. Bring it on.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blue- The one suggestion that I would make is when putting the events and holidays ect. I would make a column on the side so you don't take up room in the squares. This allows space to write. Another suggestion is to let the winners who are going to be in the calendar pick the picture that is going to be used. After all they won.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:50 AM

The calendar looks awsome, i never write on them and the black looks cool i would deffinately buy that. As long as my bike was on it haha [8D]nah i'd buy it anyways. Does it get shipped to the UK?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:38 PM

OK here's my 'attempt' at a calendar design. i realise that no1 can beat Blue Fox with his awsome design but i just thought maybe it would give some alternate ideas that can all be thrown into one what do you think?

Name:  CBR1.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  141.9 KB

Old 04-11-2008, 07:59 PM

Nice design Karl, love the transparency and how the lighting works. Very nice! I like this idea blended with a little bit of Fox's.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Looks real good Karl I like the design.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 AM

I like the idea of a uniform design, no offense but the original one was kinda iffy, i like the the ghosted bike and whatnot that karl did, both were really good

Quick Reply: CONTEST (For Graphic Designers)