CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing

Unfortunately the riding season is over here and i was wondering if anyone had any good tips on winterizing their 54. ive heard of people pulling the plugs and filling them with oil sothe rings dont seize up. ive also heardabout some kind of fluid that you pour downinto your carbs and you run the bike until it starts smoking which will help it start up in the spring. im also planning on running a fuel stabilizer through it before it goes away buti would like to hearfrom anyone that has had success with storing their bike for the winter. thanks in advance.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Default RE: Winterizing

The best advice I can give you (im from Texas so there is always good riding weather!) is disconnect your battery so it wont drain, and be prepared to change your oil and plugs when the new season rolls around. But that is just what I would do, I cant really say to much because I have never had to store my bike for the winter season.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:32 PM

Is it really hard for people to start the bike up every other week in the cold parts of the country. I do not live in a four season area (we have hot and slightly less hot most of the year), but I do have too many vehicles. Most sit at my parents house. I am out at college and just have my dad start my bikes and cars up every other week for about 30 mins. Sometimes he'll ride/drive them. This seems to keep things moving and good for awhile until I am able to use them.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 PM

I live in Iowa, gets a wee bit cold here... I just winterized mine this morning, first Ichanged the oil and filter;my take is I would rather have new oil coating things all winter, then season old nastyness. I thenadded a couple of ounces of fuel stablizer and topped off the tank, rode it for a mile or two. Pulledthebattery and put it in the utility room to keep warm.Topped off the coolant/antifreeze, wrapped the tank/engine in an old blanket and then put the cover over it. My garage is not heated, but I have had no issue with this same set up over the last few years.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:56 PM

I live in Pittsburgh. It gets cold as hell here. I just dress accordingly and take the bike out for a nice little ride every 2-3 weeks or so. But when its just sitting in between rides, I keep it on a battery tender. So far this has worked for every bike I have owned...

Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 PM

ORIGINAL: pimpncbr954s

The best advice I can give you (im from Texas so there is always good riding weather!) is disconnect your battery so it wont drain, and be prepared to change your oil and plugs when the new season rolls around. But that is just what I would do, I cant really say to much because I have never had to store my bike for the winter season.
where abouts? how you been liking the weather latly? in dallas it was 45 and rainy....i know some of you guys in the north are wishing it got only that cold up there...but i lived in detriot for 13 years so i feel you.....but at least our bikes are not carborated....so thats good

Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 AM

I also live in the Pgh. Pa area. Winter is alive and well here every year. I have 3 bikes and I just put a bit of stabilizer in them, start them weekly and take a short ride when road conditions permit. Hey Hockey21 have you checked out steelcityriders.com yet? My screen name over there is Rick954 ( my son signed me onto this site as GEEZER.....He busts my ***** for being 50 ). Bunch of real serious riders around that neighborhood that like to tear up the W.V. hills. [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 11-25-2007, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Geezr

I also live in the Pgh. Pa area. Winter is alive and well here every year. I have 3 bikes and I just put a bit of stabilizer in them, start them weekly and take a short ride when road conditions permit. Hey Hockey21 have you checked out steelcityriders.com yet? My screen name over there is Rick954 ( my son signed me onto this site as GEEZER.....He busts my ***** for being 50 ). Bunch of real serious riders around that neighborhood that like to tear up the W.V. hills. [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Nope, not a member on that forum, I'll have to check it out.But I am a member of bikerplanet.net which is also another good site full of serious riders of the pgh area.

Old 11-25-2007, 08:15 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I fill mine with gas, put on stands (not necessary but i have them), put battery on tender, cover till spring. Spring time i do an oil change, clean filter, check tire pressure (if usingair, i personally run nitrogen), and ride it like like i stole it.