CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Thinking of getting my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Seriously?????? get the damn bike. u'd be a fool to pass it up. u can use the 54 as a starter bike.....ive taught my right hand man wit no cycle experience how to ride on my 54, as well as my twin brother and my older brother......the "its not a starter bike" is a f*ckin myth.......is it jealousy or what as why people tell new riders to stay away from 900cc and up bikes?????

alright, its not just about the power, its about the suspension as well. the rake angle on all sport bikes is so steep that its just NOT ideal for people that start out on. its less forgiving than a rake angle on an SV or something similiar.

and im not talking about getting someone on a 954 and getting them to go down the road and keep it rubber-side down (a monkey could do that). its about REAL WORLD riding. not going down the road once, but USING the damn thing. see what happens when someone gets in a situation. everything about riding is counter-intuitive. you have a very small margin of error on any motorcycle, but on a 954 its virtually non-existent.

and as far as the riding expirience with a tx450. its a 4-WHEELER. how do you relate that to riding? at all?

and besides, didn't we do this a few weeks ago in another thread? we were relating riding to school or something in there, apparently, in THIS thread, THIS time, the debate is going to be military. i find it very interesting that we brought up the marines.... do any of you know what the #1 killer of our marines is?

its literbikes... (nope, not combat or anything)

because they think they can handle them as first bikes. there's been a bunch of studies done.

the only debate you guys advocating a 954 as a starter bike could possibly EVER win is the simple one that this is America, and this is one of the only countries where you can get any bike you want as your first bike. so do what you like.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man, you guys are touchy. lol

anyways, its not like i've never been on a bike. i've just never owned one. I ride my buddies cbr600.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:45 AM

You will be just fine. Ask for maintenance records if he or she has them, I like to check the forks. There isn't much reason to take them off unless in a collision; see if the hardware looks worn. I find it better to buy from a person in their 30's or 40's than someone in their early 20's. Let in run for a while and check for leaks. Same ol' thing really.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:07 AM

when you say check the forks, what do you mean? sorry i've never owned a bike always rode four wheelers.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:49 AM

What I mean by that is check the hardware attaching the forks. See if they have been removed. If so, the hardware will look worn like its been unscrewed. That is a pretty good hint that its been in a collision and had to replace the forks.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:06 PM

I will say that it is possible to start on the 954. If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride any motorcycle, basically, except its easier in the fact that you dont have to worry about moving your legs to make you go. Just realize when you come to a stop that you have to balance a 400+ pounds.

The real issue with starting on a big bike is that you have to take a humble and halfway scared approach. Don't hammer on the throttle when you've only got 100 miles under your belt, cause if youre in a lower gear, youre going to find yourself on one wheel, and then probably the pavement. Constantly be looking for potholes, animals, other drivers etc cause they can easily put you on the pavement, and it only takes once.

I only had one bike before my 954, and it was a 1987 honda magna (700cc). I've only got my learners permit. I have never even taken a course or anything, but i know my limits, and i've taken it easy and I've never had an issue.

Just realize a 954 can do 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds. That is crazy fast! There are basically zero real production cars under $80,000 that can do that! It is a performance machine and if you dont respect the bike, you will wind up being a red streak on the road.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by noerenstin
I will say that it is possible to start on the 954. If you can ride a bicycle, you can ride any motorcycle, basically, except its easier in the fact that you dont have to worry about moving your legs to make you go. Just realize when you come to a stop that you have to balance a 400+ pounds.

The real issue with starting on a big bike is that you have to take a humble and halfway scared approach. Don't hammer on the throttle when you've only got 100 miles under your belt, cause if youre in a lower gear, youre going to find yourself on one wheel, and then probably the pavement. Constantly be looking for potholes, animals, other drivers etc cause they can easily put you on the pavement, and it only takes once.

I only had one bike before my 954, and it was a 1987 honda magna (700cc). I've only got my learners permit. I have never even taken a course or anything, but i know my limits, and i've taken it easy and I've never had an issue.

Just realize a 954 can do 1/4 mile in under 10 seconds. That is crazy fast! There are basically zero real production cars under $80,000 that can do that! It is a performance machine and if you dont respect the bike, you will wind up being a red streak on the road.
Thanks for the info.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:36 PM

How many "experienced 954 owners" on this thread have told u to get one over the ones who havent? takin advice from posters who dont have a 954???? come on now.......ive been on my 954 for 5 years, i speak from experience. i would feel safer if somebody started on a 54 rather then a 600 then moved to a 54 reason being:
1. owned a 600, experienced but has the attitude "im ready to upgrade...." instead of fearin and over-estimating the bike they get on it thinkin they are 200% ready for it......sure u get where im goin
2. start on a 954 as first bike, u understand that it is a power and light bike, you have that sense of fear knowin that it is a beast in a small package. you respect it and WILL NOT under-estimate it.......

Never blaim it on the bike, regardless of thee experience, a bike does not try to hurt you or kill you, that is "operator error". a piece of equipment is only a box of metal and plastic until u add man/woman.....keep that in mind when you begin the process of learning....

Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM

My first Bike was the 954.
I rode dirtbikes and 4 wheelers since I was 11 but the 54 is my first Street bike.
A friend of mine who just started to ride a year ago told me to get a 600, while a kid I grew up riding with told me to get the 954 I always wanted.

I got the 954 and am glad i didnt get the 600.
But, like what was posted before me. Without respect for the machine it will hurt you. Regardless of what you have and havent rode. Its not like a 954 will kill you any faster then a 600. If you get on these things and ride reckless or overstep your abilities you may spend the rest of your life wishing you didnt.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
How many "experienced 954 owners" on this thread have told u to get one over the ones who havent? takin advice from posters who dont have a 954???? come on now.......ive been on my 954 for 5 years, i speak from experience. i would feel safer if somebody started on a 54 rather then a 600 then moved to a 54 reason being:
1. owned a 600, experienced but has the attitude "im ready to upgrade...." instead of fearin and over-estimating the bike they get on it thinkin they are 200% ready for it......sure u get where im goin
2. start on a 954 as first bike, u understand that it is a power and light bike, you have that sense of fear knowin that it is a beast in a small package. you respect it and WILL NOT under-estimate it.......

Never blaim it on the bike, regardless of thee experience, a bike does not try to hurt you or kill you, that is "operator error". a piece of equipment is only a box of metal and plastic until u add man/woman.....keep that in mind when you begin the process of learning....
I agree completely, very well put.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting my first bike