CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Thinking of getting my first bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of getting my first bike

I've been looking to get my first bike recently and have found one i'm interested in. Any tips or suggestions on what to look for or ask about?

btw its an 02 954rr. He has it listed for $3500 but i'm actually going to trade him for my 05 TRX450R. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM

nobody has any tips? advice?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:15 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

don't get a 954 for your first bike...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
don't get a 954 for your first bike...
^nuff sed

Old 06-28-2010, 06:39 PM

Seriously?????? get the damn bike. u'd be a fool to pass it up. u can use the 54 as a starter bike.....ive taught my right hand man wit no cycle experience how to ride on my 54, as well as my twin brother and my older brother......the "its not a starter bike" is a f*ckin myth.......is it jealousy or what as why people tell new riders to stay away from 900cc and up bikes?????

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 PM

I started on my 954 in November and have over 11,000 miles experience on it now. Its like any other bike just somewhat fast. By starting on a 954, you are not doomed to a throttle that gets stuck wide open and drives you into a building. Just ride it and enjoy it.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:50 PM

Otherwise, you could say the Marine Corps is not a "starter branch," don't join. Doesn't make much sense

Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
Seriously?????? get the damn bike. u'd be a fool to pass it up. u can use the 54 as a starter bike.....ive taught my right hand man wit no cycle experience how to ride on my 54, as well as my twin brother and my older brother......the "its not a starter bike" is a f*ckin myth.......is it jealousy or what as why people tell new riders to stay away from 900cc and up bikes?????
Not jealousy or anything. The guys you taught are the finders of the Golden Tickets in their candy bar wrappers. And, whether or not you realize it, YOU were prolly the ticket: someone with the skill, motivation and patience to teach them so they didn't become a red skid mark on the road.

Most first time riders only have 2 people available:
  1. The MSF BRC instructor that didn't have the time to focus on one student during the 16 hours over two days he had to teach them
  2. The salesman / previous owner who stopped giving a damn once the sale was made.

With no experience and nobody to really teach them, a liter bike will surprise most new riders at the worst possible time.

Originally Posted by colorofthewave
Otherwise, you could say the Marine Corps is not a "starter branch," don't join. Doesn't make much sense
In this particular scenario, saying Force Recon is not a "starter branch" is far more appropriate. How many people do you think could walk in off the street and survive that? Or SEAL training?

Last edited by Kuroshio; 06-28-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Not jealousy or anything. The guys you taught are the finders of the Golden Tickets in their candy bar wrappers. And, whether or not you realize it, YOU were prolly the ticket: someone with the skill, motivation and patience to teach them so they didn't become a red skid mark on the road.

Most first time riders only have 2 people available:
  1. The MSF BRC instructor that didn't have the time to focus on one student during the 16 hours over two days he had to teach them
  2. The salesman / previous owner who stopped giving a damn once the sale was made.

With no experience and nobody to really teach them, a liter bike will surprise most new riders at the worst possible time.

In this particular scenario, saying Force Recon is not a "starter branch" is far more appropriate. How many people do you think could walk in off the street and survive that? Or SEAL training?
SEAL? Force Recon? remove those and replace them wit a nearly impossible special operations. Paratroopers, Force Recon, and SEALS are basic training compared to SFOD-D...... yes average guys can enlist for these training opportunity's but SFOD-D is a totally different story
NEXT!

This guys has a TRX400....excuse me TRX450, which (not the smartest guy on the planet) kinda hints to me he has some riding experience.....have you rode some of the larger 4-wheelers compared to the 200cc and below???? not comparable, so this guy can do it....
im 5'10 200lbs and the 954 feels tiny to me.......ive been here for several years and have seen plenty of newbies with 954/929's as starter bikes.....that go on to live beautiful riding lives....

Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not an argument you can win with me. You might as well be saying anyone can learn to ride a motorcycle (not consider engine size at all). And that's patently false. Some people just aren't meant for 2 wheels.

The bigger the engine, the fewer the people that can hop on and successfully ride with no bike experience. Just because you and the guys you taught did it is ignoring your own natural abilities (control, balance, awareness, self-restraint). And with the guys you taught: you.

I've never seen anyone complain about being told they're better than most people

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting my first bike