CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

race gas..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: race gas..

well I had Like 5 gallons just sitting around from my quad & since it was 12$ a gal i figured i should just use it..bike ran great w/it..seemed to have more throttle response & idk if it had anything to do w/the gas but my bike was running cooler as well

Old 03-31-2008, 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I haven't done it, but the main problem with running them in new applications is they will mess up 02 sensors. Since ours dont have any i dont see why not.
I thought race gas was good for 02 sensors..,like it cleaned off the carbon build up.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

^ Actually Brooklyn depending on the engine it can be just the opposite.1 to perfectly correct my vague statement from above, leaded race fuel will kill 02 sensors and should never be used, it will also clog cat converters. As far as cleaning the carbon, no. If used in an engine built for that fuel it will burn clean, cleaner than regular fuel would be a reasonable statement. However in a "regualar" engine it likely will actually create more carbon deposits, ie make the engine dirtier. Race fuel has a much higher combustion temperature, to make it simple, in a regular engine it just will not all ignite / burn, therefor you are sending all that unburned fuel down your exhaust. I wish i was good at explaining this stuff lol, and i'm even worse at trying to type it out. Anyhow i would say our 954 engines are near race, the compression is pretty high, so running some now and then would prolly not hurt anything. However without the ability to change timing, i dont think there would be any gains either.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:04 PM

^^^ you did a good jodexplaining it makes sense to me.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

Added bonus? Of what? Less money in your wallet? In actuallity you are going to make the combustion LESS efficient by adding a higher octane mix and if your intension was to increase power........you are sadly mistaken.
The higher octane is harder to ignite....your measly 11.5:! compression isnt **** with an all aluminum motor, hardly enough to warrant 93 octane let alone 100+.
I'm curious as to why you would want to make the cumbustion cycle less efficient and call that a bonus?

Because alot of people are dumb enough to think higher octane must mean more HP! That is just flat out WRONG! Not only will you not get any HP gain running that "race gas" in your bike, but you will damage the motor if you continue to use it.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:16 AM

If a motor is stock, you need to read your owner's manual and see what the manufacture recommends for octane rating. I know the reps at suzuki say they tune and set up their bikes to run on 87 octane, while talking with BRP with their RXP's they recommend nothing less than 91 or it will cause engine damage. But unless you got mods you don't need to run race gas. Also have to be careful with like aviation fuel and some possibly like ultimate 4. I'm not sure about the ultimate 4 and all the different types of race fuel. But aviation fuel does burn more intensely i've seen and I have had a YFZ450 with a cracked piston due to the increase pressure from this more intense combustion. It was really cool to see!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:44 AM

I have been using Race Fuels in Motocross bikes for about 10 years and I can tell you that race fuels are much more then just "higher octane".
If that was the case then all you had to do was buy one of them octane booster bottles off the shelf at the local Quickie Mart and drop it into your tank for a fuel load of race fuel. Bottle octane boosters just slow your burn and may lower performance but agood race fuel uses another approach.

While yes Race gas has a higher octane rating but it also has a higher (Energy Value). A higher energy value does not change your air and fuel ratio as that is measured in weight and not volume.
So althoughthere isa higher octane, there is also more energy being released for a given time.

Pump gas is made for consumer vehicles that sit in traffic jams with long fuel lines where vapor lock can be an issue, that means that pump fuel has a low RVP (Reid Vapor Pressure).Race fuel is in the upper 7s range mostly. This ratingmeasures thepressure of the fuel and thetendency of the gasoline to evaporate.
This is why when you pour race gas on your hand or ground it dries very fast within seconds most the time and when you do the same with pump gas your hand stays wet for a pretty good while.

(Cooling effect) of the fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher the heat of vaporization, the better its effect on cooling the intake mixture for a denser charge. Most motors like cool air.

The main reason I love race fuel over pump is Consistency.
Pump fuel is so inconsistent it makes me sick, we are now paying almost race fuel prices for pump gas crap.
Race gas is mostly keep in factory sealed drums and the fuel stays fresh and moisture free unlike open/bulk fuel storage tanks.

The EPA has their hands all in our pump gas and that’s fine I like fresh air, most people drive SUVs or big trucks that pour emissions out the tail pipe by the loads. But when I jump on my Motocross bike I need good, consistent, moisture andethanolfree gas that I can trust while jumping an 80 foot double.
Also most all pump gas has 10% ethanol anymore.
Our street bikes they do just fine on pump gas. Although they do great on race fuel as well.
Unlike pump gas race fuelswere designed with higher revving motors in mind. You will notice more response, cooler running, and stronger revving motor.

Don’t knock it till you try it, but on a stock sport bike like our cbr954 the improvements are not that much of a big deal and using 93 pump fuel is what I recommend for everyday use.
If I was totake it to a race track (1/4 mile or course) I would use race fuel to help me from burning up the motor and also give me that ever so slight edge