CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

race gas

Old 04-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default race gas

will the bike run better on race gas ie-turboblue or any 110 octain, or what about the octain pill (jus drop it in your full tank of gas) Does it matter about exhaust or power commander? I always run premium unleaded but some guys I know use it in there bikes. Will it gum up the injectors? thanks for feed back, Jason

Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 AM
Default RE: race gas

Unless you have engine mods (specifically higher compression), race gas won't do much, if anythig. Higher octane is for the prevention of detonation and a smooth powerstroke. In a basically stock or lightly modified bike its just a waste of money.

And forget the magic pills...

Old 04-18-2006, 02:35 PM

yeah, unless you have a race built engine that requires it, sometimes running to high of an octane can hurt performance. for a stock engine you should stick to premium, or you might want to try an oxygenated fuel like sunoco ultimate 4 its 92 octane.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:31 PM

Just info - I know of instances where colleagues did some exhaust valve damage (burned) using 100 octane in a street auto engine, which obviously wasn't set up for racing ( the gas was free, but ultimately a bad deal ).

I assume our bikes' engines wouldn't suffer such damage, but I agree, the performance increase would be minimal if any. I just run premium.

Old 04-19-2006, 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: sixs929

Just info - I know of instances where colleagues did some exhaust valve damage (burned) using 100 octane in a street auto engine, which obviously wasn't set up for racing ( the gas was free, but ultimately a bad deal ).

I assume our bikes' engines wouldn't suffer such damage, but I agree, the performance increase would be minimal if any. I just run premium.

100 octane is not dangerous to a motor. The higher the octane rating, the slower (less explosive) and cooler the gas burns. The common misconception is that race gas burns hotter and is more explosive, when in fact its the opposite. What will cause damage tho is running it in a motor that requires "leaded" gas. The valves in those engines required the lead as a lubricant for the valves and using any unleaded gas will cause valve damage. Exhaust valve damage results from extreme heat, which 100 octane fuel will not generate by itself.

The plain truth is racing gas will not do you any good unless you need it. The higher your compression ratio, the higher the octane required. Too much is not dangerous, but its overkill and a huge waste of money. You cant get extra power from higher octane.

Just technical info for the masses!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:51 PM

Our bikes were made to run on 86/87 octane REGULAR gas. Anything higher is a waste of money. You run the lowest octane reccommended by the manufacturer to prevent predetonation. With our compression, only regular is required.

Save some $$$ on gas and stick to regular

Old 04-21-2006, 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: matt365

You run the lowest octane reccommended by the manufacturer to prevent predetonation.

Save some $$$ on gas and stick to regular
Running the lowest octane recommended is not the best way to prevent detonation. What it means is you should not run less than the minimum required octane. Which is why its called the "Mimimum" required. However, in most bikes it is better to run at least 89. Detonation in an engine can cause damage, and the higher the compression the more dangerous detonation is to the motor especially at high revs. The compression ratio in a 929 is 11.3:1. Running 89 octane will cost about 40 cents more per tankfull. I don't know about you, but I think its worth 40 cents to be safe.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM

Apparently I didn't explain properly. If you get pre-detonation or knocking, put in a higher octane gas. The owners manual for the 929 says to use 87 octane, regular gas. I use nothing but, and have no problems whatsoever. Depends on your area, but regular is anywhere from 86-89 octane, mid grade around 91, and premium 92+

I'd rather save some cash (especially on gas[:@]) and run the reccommended octane gas. The higher the octane, the more pressure required to ignite it. The fact is, lower octane gas produces more explosive power at a lower compression then high octane. In high compression race engines, higher octane gas must be used or else the engine will face possible damage, or just run like a bag of $hit.

[8D]

Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: matt365

Apparently I didn't explain properly. If you get pre-detonation or knocking, put in a higher octane gas. The owners manual for the 929 says to use 87 octane, regular gas. I use nothing but, and have no problems whatsoever. Depends on your area, but regular is anywhere from 86-89 octane, mid grade around 91, and premium 92+

I'd rather save some cash (especially on gas[:@]) and run the reccommended octane gas. The higher the octane, the more pressure required to ignite it. The fact is, lower octane gas produces more explosive power at a lower compression then high octane. In high compression race engines, higher octane gas must be used or else the engine will face possible damage, or just run like a bag of $hit.

[8D]
You don't know much about this subject, that much is clear. Regular is 87, mid grade is 89, and premium is 91+. Lower than 87 (86 or 85) is generally only seen in higher altitude areas. That aside, your discussion about octane makes no sense. [sm=wtf.gif]

EXPLOSIVE power? [sm=laughat.gif] The lower the octane, the faster the burn, and vice versa. Low octane gas tends to burn too fast, and in a high compression atmosphere, it explodes.... hence detonation, ping, knock, whatever you want to call it. High octane gas does NOT require more pressure to ignite. Thats a rediculous statement. High octane is required in high compression to avoid detonation because it burns slower and has less tendancy to explode. There is NO explosive power, any explosion inside an engine is detonation. There is NO instance where any kind of internal explosion is desired. Explosive power might be the correct term for a bomb, but not inside an engine. High octane gas can be used in ANY motor with NO adverse effects at all and at times can result in slightly more power, but nothing you will really notice. Low octane will NOT produce more power in any motor.

A slower controlled burn produces a smooth powerstroke where a fast burn produces a rougher stroke and less power because the burn happens too fast. I could get into more detail, but its pointless. In top fuel drag cars, they use an alcohol mix to raise the octane rating dramatically because alcohol burns even slower.

As far as saving cash.... Are you are that hard up for 40 cents?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:11 PM

Believe what you want, it's all good. I hate arguing over the net... it is kinda pointless. Might as well just link to another forum where we have discussed the topic before, rather than waste all my time retyping what has already been said.

http://www.rrzone.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=octane

No problems man... its just a forum... everyone has an opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: race gas