CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

New to Power Commander III and Maps

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Power Commander III and Maps

Hey, I'm new to the forum and FI bikes. I just got an 02 954RR and it came with a PCIII that was not hooked up. I don't know too much about these things and I was wondering what map to load for my bike cuz I haven't really found good info on good maps for my bike.

It has:
Bolt on M4 Highmount Exhaust
K&N Air Filter
-1/+2 520 Conversion

Thats all I think that matters when picking a map. Am I right? Do I need/should have a map for daily commute and for some twisties on the weekends? I'd love to get more power but I'd also wouldn't want to own my mpg more than I already do. I don't know if I should use the PC or not. Replies to my questions and also a place to find a map I need would be awesome! Thanks! BTW its not a usb so I'll have to figure out how to load a map too.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

no, if you want the most out of it, get $350 or so together and go get a custom map. but for what you're doin' (and i assume that's downloading a map from the site), just get one that somewhat matches what your bike has. forget all the euro models. the main question, do you still have the HTEV on that exhaust, or did the highmount you have delete it?

as far as loading it, thats easy, go get a serial port to usb adapter from ebay or radio shack , install the driver. download the program for the pciii from powercommander.com and all of the maps, hook it all up, turn on the ignition, then go to town. try some out, and go stick with the one that you think makes your bike the best.

a dyno guy could probably give you a few maps (thats after the $350 and 4 hours of your time) (one for rain/fuel mpg, one for performance) but i think it'd be a waste. you'd have to pull the laptop out and install it everytime you wanted to. it'd be a pain. its not like some of the new systems that will remember 2 maps and give you a switch for the handle bars.

once you think you're doin modding your bike, then go get the custom map, thats the only way you'll get the most out of it.

Last edited by Conrice; 09-15-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the good advice. It still has the htev (which I believe has a small leak :-( ) and the best place for dling maps is the pc3 site? Also, when I'm trying them out what are things to look for? Or will I just know lol.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM

UPDATE: I figured out a lot of answers to questions I asked lol. I just tried out the "Arrow bolt on (with HTEV) and aftermarket filter" map after trying a few others...and it's pretty amazing. Still would be good to know if there's certain things to look for when trying out maps and also if anyone has any suggestions of other maps for my bike. I like to take in as much info as I can...thanks!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

forget all of the euro maps (they have much better gas over there, and the maps are configured for that). forget all of the full systems, and the ones that eliminate the HTEV. try all the slip-on ones though. a guy at dynojet told me that there really only needs to be one map for the slip on, dynojet did it that way so people would feel more confident in choosing a map that had been designed for their specific slip-on. moral of the story - all of the slip-on maps are slightly different, but instead of the differences coming from the can being used, the differences are more of a result from the actual bike, location of being tuned, etc. so try all of em them and go by the seat of your pants dyno to pick the best one for you

Old 08-08-2011, 09:47 PM

I have a 954 with full Yoshimura exhaust and an aftermarket air filter. I uploaded a map from the Powercommander website for that exact setup and the bike won't even start now. WTF? I think I screwed up because the map that was on it before ran perfectly and revved quickly. It was loaded by the previous owner who claims it was mapped before when he sold it to me, but I thought I'd try to make sure the correct map was on there. Sure enough, it would'nt start afterwards. It would start to run, but would die instantly. Could be a wrong map somehow? Anyone have any advice?? PowerCommander III NON-USB. 02 954. Got the maps from http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...11&PartNum=110

I am using the non-usb Powercommander software to load the maps.

Thanks in advance

Also, when the bike wasn't running and I loaded the map, the RPMS on the laptop said 638 or around there. That's obviously impossible because the bike isn't even running. >.>

I also then loaded the map for a completely stock bike, and it Didnt even fire on that map. I thought it would be the same as plugging the stock computer back in.

Last edited by Omaha rider; 08-08-2011 at 11:51 PM.