Looking at joining the club.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Looking at joining the club.

Howdy all!

Well I am thinking about joining the 954 Club ^.^

Been looking at the following bike for a while

2003 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade NOT Yamaha R1 Suzuki GSXR (eBay item 120740680604 end time 28-Jun-11 18:58:07 AEST) : Cars, Bikes, Boats

I live in Australia if you hadn't noticed from the eBay listing. The bike is located 4 hours from me so I want to be pretty much ready to buy her before going down for an inspection.

The Seller is firm on the AUD$5,500 price. Doesn't know when the valves have been checked, says it has not been on the track, Says it has been serviced regularly but not record of service history available. Seller is the 3rd owner, no leaks at all and tread is good front and rear.

The bike has been re-listed on ebay since 26th May So its been there a while. Make me wonder what is wrong with it.

Just want some advice on what to check when going for an inspection. Or if I should steer clear and keep on looking.

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hey man, thats a clean looking bike there! i'm not quite sure on what the market is like in austrailia, but based on the exchange rate for USD, thats a little on the high side IMO, but if its a solid running bike, then it'd be worth it if you have your mind set on a 954 (i paid $5800 US (a lil over$5500 AUS) for mine a few years ago, and i love it).

when you go look at it, turn the ignition on. make sure the Fuel pressure regulator primes the bike for around 2-3 seconds and then it stops priming. then start the bike. it should turn over and start right up. as it warms up, you should hear no valve ticking (that would be what necessitates a valve job) and see no smoke while idling (however, if you blip the throttle, you may see a little smoke). and make sure you watch the bike go through the whole heat cycle (i.e., it starts while COLD, warms up, you watch the bike get above 105 degrees celsius and make sure the fan comes on, etc.) make sure the bike doesn't stall out anytime.

if you're dropping that kind of money for the bike, it needs to run flawlessly. then test ride it if you can, make sure the bike tracks straight, since there's a lot of aftermarket polishing/chrome, it will be hard to tell if the bike has been down before. look at the radiator, the mounts should be straight. stradle the bike, and push down really hard on the handle bars to make sure the fork seals are not leaking. just try and look over the bike real close and talk with the guy. you can also check the undertail for rubber. if there is rubber caked on to it, it means he likes to do burn-outs (which are kind of hard on the engine)

hope that helps, i hope you do join the 954 club.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice,low mileage,ask how long he has had it and what he has done to it.Valves need to be checked at 24,000 kilometers.Look at the chain and sprockets,make sure if they are clean and not to worn.(If regularly serviced as he says,chain should be nicely cleaned and adjusted)Ride it before you buy it.Check for any unusual sounds,cam chain tensioner is a common problem with these bikes.Other then that,take some one else with you that knows bikes and have him or her go over it as well.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a Leo Pipe! No longer made.......I think Conrice & letsride pretty much summed it up. Just evaluate the overall condition of the bike. Looks pretty clean from the pics. If the $$$ the seller is asking seems worth it to you. Then pull the pin and take her home! The higher asking price may have to do with the availability of this model where you live. Another thing to consider may be the availability of those aftermarkets already on the machine. Importing and the cost associated where you live may boost the price a little. Over here in the states. Aftermarkets will "net" you nothing..........Good Luck!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 PM

No such thing as firm. I wouldn't even go look or call on a firmly over priced bike. Now if $5800 is a good price, then by all means.

No service records wouldn't bother me. I do all my own service and I don't keep receipts or a log book. Him not knowing when the valves were checked last says he hasn't owned the bike that long.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:11 AM

cash speaks LOUDLY so take cash and make an offer.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:49 AM

mate i live in brisbane and bought my 954 off ebay a few months ago for $5000, mine is spotless however it had 58,000km on it. so i think that is good value for the bike in oz... i'd go for it, i love mine so much. ive had an r1 and r6 prior to this one and love the 954 heaps more!!! great bike!!