CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

I'd like to change the color of my 954RR this season...feedback wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'd like to change the color of my 954RR this season...feedback wanted

Hey guys,

In addition to the mechanical things I need to fix/service this season (tires, chain, sprocket), I'd really like to change the color of my 954RR to white. I bought my bike with pre-existing damage to the front cowl and tail fairing, so knew that I'd need to replace a few pieces. However, at this point I'm really more interested in changing the color of the bike at the same time to achieve a different look. So, just considering my options.

1. Aftermarket fairings. I'm leaning towards Auctmarts.com but am open to suggestions regarding other higher level of quality kits. They do make a white/black pattern that I like. The obvious downsides here are that the plastics aren't OEM so probably not as durable overall, and my tank is left untouched.

2. Custom paint. Not leaning this way as I'd have to purchase a few new parts and then have them painted and stickered. I feel like this might lead to the highest quality conclusion but at the highest possible price. The obvious downsides here concern the price and potential hassles with a paint shop, but the upside is that I could get the tank painted too.

3. DIY paint. Not leaning this way at all, since it's almost all about downside. I'd only have myself to blame for low quality work, and all the labor, prep, and paint time is on me.

For those of you who have put aftermarket fairings on your 954s in order to change color, any feedback that I can take to heart before I embark on the project? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

paint the tank + aftermarket fairings from cbrfairings.com

the result:

Name:  IMG_6339.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  185.6 KBName:  IMG_6346.jpg
Views: 3122
Size:  207.8 KBName:  IMG_6341.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  166.9 KB

painting oem fairings would be the best bet though....

Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Hey guys,

In addition to the mechanical things I need to fix/service this season (tires, chain, sprocket), I'd really like to change the color of my 954RR to white. I bought my bike with pre-existing damage to the front cowl and tail fairing, so knew that I'd need to replace a few pieces. However, at this point I'm really more interested in changing the color of the bike at the same time to achieve a different look. So, just considering my options.

1. Aftermarket fairings. I'm leaning towards Auctmarts.com but am open to suggestions regarding other higher level of quality kits. They do make a white/black pattern that I like. The obvious downsides here are that the plastics aren't OEM so probably not as durable overall, and my tank is left untouched.

2. Custom paint. Not leaning this way as I'd have to purchase a few new parts and then have them painted and stickered. I feel like this might lead to the highest quality conclusion but at the highest possible price. The obvious downsides here concern the price and potential hassles with a paint shop, but the upside is that I could get the tank painted too.

3. DIY paint. Not leaning this way at all, since it's almost all about downside. I'd only have myself to blame for low quality work, and all the labor, prep, and paint time is on me.

For those of you who have put aftermarket fairings on your 954s in order to change color, any feedback that I can take to heart before I embark on the project? Thanks in advance.

I bought my bike, the previous owner removed all the factory decals. I thought it looked horrible. I was going to just add the oem decals, but I decided to repaint it.

This is how I got it:

I painted it Lexus Starfire Pearl.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 PM

I love the white! That looks terrific. Any rough estimates of what to expect to pay in labor for painting all the factory fairings, should I go down that route?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM

The oem fairings will hold up the best but you'll have quite a bit of money involved in any repair/prep/paint work.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM

I love the white! That looks terrific. Any rough estimates of what to expect to pay in labor for painting all the factory fairings, should I go down that route?
If you take all the fairings and the tank to a shop..I dunno, probably $300-$500. My wife worked at a body shop, so I got a hookup.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM

For me, the kick in the nuts is that I cannot just take my OEM fairings in, which is why I'm leaning towards buying aftermarket (painted/logoed) fairings. I'm definitely willing to spend money on my bike, but am not looking to spend wrecklessly or foolishly either. Since I'd be spending about $400 on new OEM fairing parts and then maybe $400 on paintwork, the total really does start adding up.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

For me, the kick in the nuts is that I cannot just take my OEM fairings in, which is why I'm leaning towards buying aftermarket (painted/logoed) fairings. I'm definitely willing to spend money on my bike, but am not looking to spend wrecklessly or foolishly either. Since I'd be spending about $400 on new OEM fairing parts and then maybe $400 on paintwork, the total really does start adding up.

well you have to understand how much physical work there is in the prep work for paint. the actual painting part is the quickest and easiest part

and then you have to understand the amount of work forming the fairings, and then painting them.

it does really add up. if you buy aftermarket fairings, you can at least sell the fairings that you have to cut your total costs

Old 02-17-2012, 07:35 AM

That's what I'm thinking as well Conrice. Not that I'm counting on the money back from selling my remaining good OEM fairing parts so much, but at least that strategy does offer that option. I think I'm leaning more heavily towards just going aftermarket fairings and then dealing with the tank. Since my 954 is silver/black, and the kit I'm looking to pick up is white/black, it will just be the silver remaining on the tank that is central for me to change in time (most likely to black to avoid and white coloration match issues). I appreciate the continued feedback!