CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows

also check the ignition wires (under the key switch)

Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the work yourself...

Old 03-16-2008, 03:15 PM

on old trick is to take an old light socket and bulb and attach 2 male spade connectors. plug the spade terminals into the fuse terminals of the fuse panel. in this way by moving the harness around and watching the light you can tell when the short occurs. the fuse blows because you have an overload in the circuit. generally speaking due to a short. a circuit needs 3 things power, load, and ground. without the load the fuse blows. turn the key on but dont ride the bike like this.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:08 PM

I tried the wiggle wire method, and so did the technicians. For some reason, it wont do it at Idle. I had the bike apart, and did this everyday for a week. I did replace the battery not too long ago, because it wouldnt hold a charge. I had it on the tender all night, it started right up, then I rode for 20 mins, let it sit for 10, and it was dead. I replaced the battery, and figured it was just time. Now she fires right up, no problems. Could there be a stator, reg/rec problem? The reg/rec is being replaced now, so next i'll look at the stator, if its still not right.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:40 PM

Hey, I am having the same exact problem with my bike, Have been trouble shooting it for a couple days, I have a brand new r/r and a good stator on mine and having the same issue so i dont think its there(although a bad or defective r/r could be the problem).

if you can answer a few questions for me i can give you the info that i have so far...
it is only when your running the bike at high speed/high rpm, correct?
have you taken the casing for the kill switch and start button apart at all?
Did your fuel pump have power after the blown fuse?
do you have a bank angle sensor? (mine does not, it is rigged to by pass for stunts)

My fuse only blows when i flip the switch to the run position with the key on, probably a short but i have not found anything yet
... So the problem is somewhere in that loop, the engine will still kick over when i press the start button but i do not get power to the fuel pump, im still review the wiring diagram to try to find something-Looking at the wiring its something along the lines of

Battery ->30Amp main fuse->20Amp sub fuse-> engine stop relay-> after that relay(not sure about this, will have to look again) the power goes to another main relay and the fuel pump relay and the kill switch along with some other things. Im going to review it again tonight. But as of right now im stumped

Old 03-20-2008, 10:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Hcstreetriding

Hey, I am having the same exact problem with my bike, Have been trouble shooting it for a couple days, I have a brand new r/r and a good stator on mine and having the same issue so i dont think its there(although a bad or defective r/r could be the problem).

if you can answer a few questions for me i can give you the info that i have so far...
it is only when your running the bike at high speed/high rpm, correct?
have you taken the casing for the kill switch and start button apart at all?
Did your fuel pump have power after the blown fuse?
do you have a bank angle sensor? (mine does not, it is rigged to by pass for stunts)

My fuse only blows when i flip the switch to the run position with the key on, probably a short but i have not found anything yet
... So the problem is somewhere in that loop, the engine will still kick over when i press the start button but i do not get power to the fuel pump, im still review the wiring diagram to try to find something-Looking at the wiring its something along the lines of

Battery ->30Amp main fuse->20Amp sub fuse-> engine stop relay-> after that relay(not sure about this, will have to look again) the power goes to another main relay and the fuel pump relay and the kill switch along with some other things. Im going to review it again tonight. But as of right now im stumped
Yep, only when running at decent speeds. Not necessarily fast, but it doesnt happen on idle. The first time I witnessed it, was after a hard drop from a wheelie. No, I havent taken apart the swtich assy. No, the fuel pump will not prime when the fuse blows If I remember correctly.(bike is still in the shop.) Im sure I do have a bank angle sensor. I have not checked, but the bike was completely stock when I got it. I know it sucks to say this, but Im glad youre having the same/similar issues. Hopefully we can figure this out together. At least one of us will be able to save a few dollars.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:53 PM

any progress?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:15 AM

Nope. Still in the shop. It takes about 7 days for the parts to get here. It should be done any day now though. Im like **** it. Last thing I'll check is the connections to the stator. If I cant figure it out, Im getting a new bike.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM

Alright, UPdate. I have fixed my Problem(i hope, will find out for sure on friday) What i had was an open circuit in the loop that i mentioned before. The open circuit was in the start/kill switch, one of the wires had dissconnected from the point it was soderd to. and that was blowing the FI fuse immediately. But it took me over a week to check that because i was stupid and didnt want to have to readjust my trottle(dumb move on my part). So in the week of searching i found some more stuff that could have potentially been the problem. SO... Your problem could be the same as mine, and it might only be happening like say when comming down from a whillie because that bounces the wire just enough to short with one of the othe wires(they are very close together and only coverd with some enamel paint or something like that) or shorting with the metal bars which are a ground. Not for sure, I have more to say but i have to go to class at the moment, going to be late, will be back on tonight, but get your bike out of the shop asap! also if you have aol instant messanger or something like that let me know so we can carry a conversation sometime, i tend to have a good idea and forget it within an hour.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM

well the thing that sucks is the shop should have checked all of this stuff already and if its not that then its a short that is going to require cutting open the wiring harness to find. but...'
first check error code, easy to check, (look at manual), if you get a code thats good start.

if you have a test light check all your grounds, the main ones that mount and the grounds to your kill/start switch(requires diagram) headlight, BAS, turn signals, FUEL PUMP, everything pretty much. just hook it to the positive and and hit them, if it lights its good AND hook it to the negative and test all of them, If it lights up you have a huge clue as to where your problem is. That means your getting power somewhere through that ground which in turn means your short is somewhere along that wire. even take the kill/start switch apart and test the internal wires, not just at the connector. and the tail light and turn signals and fan blah blah blah all of them.

Check the relays, All of them, and make sure they are within spec.

back with more later

Quick Reply: Have a wiring problem somewhere...FI/Igntition fuse blows