CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Front preload/sag?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front preload/sag?

This bike was set at 8 turns for the front preload, every other adjust was set to the standard setting. I measured the sag with my 140 lbs sitting on it and showed 44 mm of front sag. Cranked the adjusters to 12 turns and still show 44mm of front sag. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the preload adjuster is just for looks?

the guy that owned it was 220, it must have been bottoming out over the slightest bump.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by moosestang
This bike was set at 8 turns for the front preload, every other adjust was set to the standard setting. I measured the sag with my 140 lbs sitting on it and showed 44 mm of front sag. Cranked the adjusters to 12 turns and still show 44mm of front sag. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or the preload adjuster is just for looks?

the guy that owned it was 220, it must have been bottoming out over the slightest bump.
The preload (black nut on top of forks) on a 954 should only have around 9 full turns in or out. What direction are you turning the preload adjuster? Clockwise increases preload or makes fork stiffer (normal is 7 turns in from full soft) and counterclockwise removes preload (makes fork softer but more likely to bottom out). I usually have my preload set to 3 turns in and I weigh about 185 before gear.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 AM

How can there be only 9 turns of adjustment when 7 is the standard setting? I'm turning clockwise.

How much does your front forks sag with you sitting on it?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

How can there be only 9 turns of adjustment when 7 is the standard setting? I'm turning clockwise.

How much does your front forks sag with you sitting on it?
Clockwise increases preload or makes your bike stiffer. Most fast riders have very little preload in their bikes. A proper spring for your weight decreases the need for preload. If you only weigh 140lb you should not need much if any preload in your forks. How are you measuring your sag?

This is directly from Racetech's website: Static Sag or Race Sag is the amount the bike compresses from fully extended, with the rider on board.

Here's how to measure it.
  1. First extend the forks or shock completely and measure from the wiper to the bottom of the triple clamp on forks or from the axle to a vertical reference point on the chassis. This is L1.
  2. Take the bike off the stand, put the rider on board in riding position. Get an assistant to balance the bike or have the rider hold onto something, comress the suspension about 25 mm (1") and let it extend very slowly (slowly is the critical term). Where it stops, measure the distance between the wiper and the bottom of the triple clamp or the axle and the reference point on the chassis again. Do not bounce. This is L2. (If there were no friction in the seals the bike would come up a little further.)
  3. Next lift up on the suspension and let it drop very slowly. Where it stops measure again. Do not bounce. This is L3. The reason L2 and L3 are different is due to stiction or drag in the seals and bushings. (If there were no friction in the seals or the linkage the bike would drop a little further.)
  4. Half way between L1 and L2 is where it would come to rest with no friction. Therefore L2 and L3 must be averaged and subtracted from L1 to calculate true Static Sag.
    Static Sag = L1 - (L3 L2)/2
  5. To adjust Static Sag make longer or shorter preload spacers or use the preload adjusters, if available.
    It is important to note that there are no magic Sag numbers. However here are some guidelines to use as starting points.
Bike TypeFront %Front mm Rear %Rear mmRear Free Sag mmOff-Road Bikes22-25%65-75mm30-33%95-100mm15-25mmOff-Road 80cc Mini's22-25%55-65mm30-33%75-80mm10-20mmStreet Bikes28-33%30-35mm28-33%30-35mm0-5mmRoad Race Bikes23-27%25-30mm23-27%25-30mm0-5mm

The stock 954 springs are .701kg and using ractech's website you still need a .901kg. The stock 954 forks are way too soft.

Use a socket with a long extension so you can pick a starting point by referencing some part of the bike (Note: place a paper towel over the nut then fit the socket so you will not scratch the nut). Now turn the handle until you get back to that same point: this is one complete turn of the preload adjuster. The stock setting is set stiffer just in case you are riding 2 up so the front forks don't bottom out. Try this: Turn your preload counterclockwise until it stops (this is full soft), Now turn the adjuster clockwise 3 full turns and recheck your sag and see where you are and adjust from there.

I am rebuilding my forks right now and I dont remember my sag setting. I will post my new sag settings once I get my forks done.

Last edited by backdoc; 01-08-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of the best video's that I have come across on suspension settings.
http://sportbikewrench.com/howtovideos.aspx
I also agree that the 954 springs are too soft for most riders.I switch my springs to a Rc51 which are 1kg

Last edited by letsride; 01-08-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added content
Old 01-08-2011, 09:52 PM

I'm using a zip tie around the fork tube to check sag. Pushing up on bar to unload forks and measuring from zip tie to dust seal.

Did some tests. With zero front preload I get 53mm of sag, with 6 turns I get 50mm of sag. I assume if I keep turning clockwise it will eventually stop? Going to go see how far the rabbit hole goes.

Are you saying even my light weight *** needs a stiffer spring?

Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM

I'm using a zip tie around the fork tube to check sag. Pushing up on bar to unload forks and measuring from zip tie to dust seal.

Did some tests. With zero front preload I get 53mm of sag, with 6 turns I get 50mm of sag. I assume if I keep turning clockwise it will eventually stop? Going to go see how far the rabbit hole goes.

Are you saying even my light weight *** needs a stiffer spring?
Yep, according to Racetech the bike without a rider is too heavy for itself. Who knows why Honda would put such soft springs in the 954.

Don't get too caught up with the sag numbers. At first I tried to get my sag within the magical 30-35mm but the closer I got to those numbers the more uncomfortable I felt on the bike. I started experimenting with my preload and found that less preload felt better to my riding style no matter what the sag numbers.

Less preload = quicker steering and more preload = slower steering.

I use zip ties too for measuring and to make sure I am not bottoming out the forks while riding.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM

For what it's worth there is 16 full turns of adjustment and at 16 turns I get 42mm of sag. That's not counting for stiction in the forks.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Do you know if your forks are stock or not? You are adding preload if are turning the adjuster clockwise which raises the front of the bike. Try turning the adjuster counter clockwise until it stops and check your sag there. Are you sure you are measuring the sag correctly?

Old 01-09-2011, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Do you know if your forks are stock or not? You are adding preload if are turning the adjuster clockwise which raises the front of the bike. Try turning the adjuster counter clockwise until it stops and check your sag there. Are you sure you are measuring the sag correctly?
I said in post #6 that I get 54mm of rider sag with zero preload set. I am measuring between the dust wiper and my zip tie after sitting on the bike, not bouncing. I'm sure the forks/springs are stock and the fork oil is probably original. What's ironic is my other bike has too stiff of a spring in the forks, because I can't get more than 32mm of rider sag with zero preload set.

My results seem typical of other posts I've found. I'm going to try it with the preload set to full hard.

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...tatic-sag.html