F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Is max preload on the front forks safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is max preload on the front forks safe?

I decided to fiddle w/ my suspension today to try and get sag set, going for the 30-35 mm recommended and I can't achieve that on the front. I think I've got the preload maxed on the front and my sag is 46mm. Funny thing is the rear is good at 35mm in the stock position. I've read the front sag isn't as important and was wondering w/ the preload maxed or close to it, will it hurt anything?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by chambers
I decided to fiddle w/ my suspension today to try and get sag set, going for the 30-35 mm recommended and I can't achieve that on the front. I think I've got the preload maxed on the front and my sag is 46mm. Funny thing is the rear is good at 35mm in the stock position. I've read the front sag isn't as important and was wondering w/ the preload maxed or close to it, will it hurt anything?

If you are adjusting it correctly then your forks need to be rebuilt, they are most likely low on oil.

here is a quick video to show you how to set it. (remember different bikes use a different setting, but the basic's of how to measure are the same)

Motorcycle Suspension- Setting Sag - YouTube

Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice jveach, kudos!

Ern

Old 02-12-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by jveach
If you are adjusting it correctly then your forks need to be rebuilt, they are most likely low on oil.
I'm adjusting it correctly, I just figured the springs in the forks weren't sufficient for my weight. I haven't seen any signs of leaks anywhere on the forks, that's the only way I could lose oil isn't it? I'm assuming the preload is near max since the adjuster is down almost too far for me to get a wrench on it. It took 11 turns from the stock position to get it there.

Last edited by chambers; 02-12-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 PM

I think the weight limit for these bikes is over 400 lbs, Not sure what you weigh but download the owners manual and see what the true weight limit is, As long as your not over it or really really close to it, the bike (if the forks are all good) should be able to set up within spec for your weight.

I'm a bigger guy also, I weight about 230 to 240 and mine set up within spec easily

Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jveach
I think the weight limit for these bikes is over 400 lbs, Not sure what you weigh but download the owners manual and see what the true weight limit is, As long as your not over it or really really close to it, the bike (if the forks are all good) should be able to set up within spec for your weight.

I'm a bigger guy also, I weight about 230 to 240 and mine set up within spec easily
I'm about 210-215 w/o gear, I was trying to get the sag difference set at 30-35 mm on the front and rear. The difference between the forks fully extended and the rider sag was 55 mm w/ the stock settings, after 11 (maybe 10 if I miscounted) turns of the adjusters in it was 45 mm. Where in the manual does it specify what sag should be? I know where to find the stock settings, but was trying to set it up for my weight which I think is more than the average rider.

I watched your vid and it's interesting that it's a bit different from the vid I was using to get free sag. I was using kieth code's vid and he says to lever the bike up on the stand and measure the front suspension w/ the tire off the ground, same thing for the rear. Your vid shows getting that measurement w/ the wheel still on the ground. I'm not sure which one is right, or how much it really effects it though? Here is the vid I was using http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNrbCLXJ01I.

Last edited by chambers; 02-12-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:17 PM

I've always used the method of just pushing up on the bike, It always seems to work well for me.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 PM

Ok, I'll post up how it handles after I ride it tomorrow. I just thought it was a little odd how the rear sag was good pretty much at the stock setting and I couldn't get the front in the 30-35mm range. The rear ended up at 35mm and front at 46mm. I figured I needed different springs in the front, but I gotta get tires before I think about that.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes max preload is safe. Stock front fork springs are .68kg/mm, which is ideal for a 120lbs rider. If you can't get correct sag that means....your normal american weight lol. Fork oil isen't the answer here, new springs are. Stock rebound valving is very light and stock compression is very hard to compensate for the weak springs so upgrading those are the same time is recommended. I only did rebound valves and now my compression is set at only 3/4turn from full soft. If I have them apart again I'll do the compression valves.
The rear spring is the proper spec for a 180lbs rider, hence the reason you have no trouble setting rear sag up.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Yes max preload is safe. Stock front fork springs are .68kg/mm, which is ideal for a 120lbs rider. If you can't get correct sag that means....your normal american weight lol. Fork oil isen't the answer here, new springs are. Stock rebound valving is very light and stock compression is very hard to compensate for the weak springs so upgrading those are the same time is recommended. I only did rebound valves and now my compression is set at only 3/4turn from full soft. If I have them apart again I'll do the compression valves.
The rear spring is the proper spec for a 180lbs rider, hence the reason you have no trouble setting rear sag up.
Thanks for answering my original question and the extra info about the rear shock is very helpful.

Quick Reply: Is max preload on the front forks safe?