CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

FI warning light (35 code)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FI warning light (35 code)

Yesterday, while riding my 2002 Honda CBR954rr[/b] on the freeway, I had to make a sudden stop. This is typical for California freeway riding. However, I noticed that the “FI” red warning light was illuminated. I’m not sure if the light had come on or if the sudden stop had triggered it (doubtful). As I continued to ride, I noticed that the bike was sluggish under full acceleration and even had a different exhaust note. It felt like the bike was running on 3 cylinders or as if the timing was off.

I pulled in the clutch, started to coast, and then turned the key off and then on again and re-started the bike. The light went off and the bike ran, accelerated, and sounded fine. About 1-2 miles later, the light was back on and stayed illuminated.

When I got home, I referred to my “cd version” of my bike’s service manual. Before I even turned the engine on, my bike was making an audible “ticking” noise when I put the key in the start position. When I turned the engine on, I was greeted by 3 long blinks of the red light followed by 5 short blinks of the red light. This continued to cycle as the bike idled. My manual stated that this “35” code is an EGCV AND AIR INTAKE VALVE SERVO MOTOR[/b] error[/b]. I checked the forum but was wondering if anyone has experienced this error recently on their 954. If so, what was the diagnosis and repair cost involved? Can anyone tell me if this “ticking” noise is related to the “35” error code or is it a separate issue?

Before I do anything, I wanted some opinions from members of this forum, because you are the experts when it comes to this bike. Do you think that I should bring it to the dealer, or can any reputable motorcycle repair shop handle this type of problem? My bike doesn’t have any engine modifications other than a slip on Erion racing[/b] pipe. All other upgrades are cosmetic and not related to the engine.

My local dealer is Honda Kawasaki KTM of Santa Monica, CA. The two motorcycle shops that I deal with are Cycle Depot Corporation in Los Angeles, CA (near Eagle Rock, CA) and Demon Cycle Sports in Long Beach, CA. The dealer is always going to be the most expensive, but would you recommend it since this is an ECU type of problem and not some sort of general maintenance issue?

I would appreciate any and all comments.

Thanks

Old 08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: FI warning light (35 code)

If your even a little bit handy you can test that motor yourself. Refer back to your manual, and to to the code 35 diagnistics. Basiclly you just hook a hot and negative to it and see if the motor works, then follow directions from there. If that is not your strong suit i would take it in, and reputable shop should be able to handle it for ya i would think.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Default RE: FI warning light (35 code)

[:@]I feel your pain man!![:@] I have the exact samething going on with my bike as we speak. What happened is your exhaust valve servo went bad. The damn things have a cheap plastic gear inside them and they are prone to strip out. The clicking you hear is the servo trying to change positions and it is unable to. If you reach down on the left side of your bike, near the fuel shutoff you can feel the sevo trying to move, you can move it untill it stops clicking but as soon as you ride it will start all over again. You basically have three options, go to a dealer and pay out the a$$ to have it fixed, you can go to babbitsonline.com and buy a Honda replacement for $175 bucks + s/h, or you do what I have been doing and wait for one on ebay. It is pretty simple to change, you just have to remove the tank an air cleaner box, remove one bolt that holds the servo on its bracket and them remove the two cables that go to the exhaust and finally unplug the harness then replace. Hope this helps!!