CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Exhaust setup question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust setup question

So i pick up my 954 about a year ago and picked up a leo vince slip on for it about 4 months. I havent been running a power commander on it as ive heard you dont have to with slip ons. Please, correct me if im wrong there! Anyways, i happened to run into a nearly full Arata exhaust that was just missing the end can. I picked it up in search of the last piece, but have had no luck tracking one down. So, does anyone know if its possible to run separate exhaust pieces together, and if so what will i need? Also, im a little confused how a power commander and a custom map differ as ive heard you need them both? As always, thank you for any help in advance!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A power commander by itself does nothing. It comes with what's known as a zero map. The user tweaks the fuel curve based on how the bike is tuned to get certain performance parameters out of the bike. As each bike is different, a custom map allows the user to tune to the equipment as installed on that bike.

Typically exhaust manufacturers will say that a tuner like the PC is not necessary for slip ons because frankly they need to sell your exhaust. Most owners find that the bike is not significantly changed from stock with it and it runs similarly with the stock exhaust, ergo the manufacturers are correct.

From the showroom floor the bike comes with compromises built in and fuel tuning is one of them. Once you own it, you're free to do as you please with it, including fuel tuning.

The alternative would be to flash the ECU to put the software you want on there. Dynojet has made that unnecessary with a piggyback module, the Powercommander. Be mindful that although they are popular, they're not the only option. Bazzaz makes one and I'm sure there are others.

Old 10-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, even a completely stock motorcycle can benefit from a Power Commander with a custom map. You should use some kind of map in the Power Commander either one downloaded from DynoJet's site that closely resembles you modifications or have a custom map built from a DynoJet tuning center, where they would put your bike on a dyno, stuff a exhaust gas analyzer in the pipe to get a reading, to tell whether its rich or lean and where its rich or lean, then they'll make adjustments, building the map in the process, hence, Custom Map. As far as piecing different exhaust part together from different companies, you'll just have to try it. They might line up to each other, they might not. They might be different diameters. An exhaust shop could probably make you a "inbetween" piece to connect the two if needed.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, i really appreciate the feedback. That info on the pc and fuel map is pretty handy, but it looks like i might have to find a local shop that can help me sort out this exhaust situation.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm running a set of Hindle headers with an MIG end can that came off of an R1.

So yes, you can do it - you may need help making a link pipe, but an exhaust shop could do it for you.

Think of a PC as a middle man in your bike's electronics. Your sensors tell your ECU how much fuel to use and when to fire spark. When you plug in the PC to your bike's wiring, the ECU talks to your PC, then your PC talks to the injectors and coils.

The PC is a tool, so you have to tune it.