CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum
View Poll Results: Is the 954rr clumsy and slow? As compared to newer liter bikes?
Yes on both accounts, the newer bikes are more advanced.
4.35%
Yes on one account, (specify which) It could use a little updated, ITS 8 YEARS OLD!
1.45%
No it could be compared to any 600 in the twisties, and 1000 in the straights.
56.52%
It can hold its own but isn't matched to the newer bikes of today.
39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

confused, comparing the 954 to other liter bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on what everyone has said. 954 is probably the best bike I've ever owned.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM

This is probably a dumb question, but why does my 954 feel heavier with a different tire compound?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by colorofthewave
This is probably a dumb question, but why does my 954 feel heavier with a different tire compound?
By heavier, do you mean "flickability" on turning?

It shouldn't with a different compound, but it can with different tire brands. On the front, a more "V" shaped profile allows quicker turn-in and makes it feel nimbler, whereas a rounded tire makes turn-in seem more sluggish if you have been use to the "V" shape.

What kind of tires did you have and what do you have now?

Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
By heavier, do you mean "flickability" on turning?

It shouldn't with a different compound, but it can with different tire brands. On the front, a more "V" shaped profile allows quicker turn-in and makes it feel nimbler, whereas a rounded tire makes turn-in seem more sluggish if you have been use to the "V" shape.

What kind of tires did you have and what do you have now?
ah ok that makes sense. "Flickability" better describes what I am referring to. I had Michelin Pilots I believe, and now I have Dunlop roadsmarts; I needed the extra life because she's my daily driver.

Last edited by colorofthewave; 05-14-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ah ok that makes sense. "Flickability" better describes what I am referring to. I had Michelin Pilots I believe, and now I have Dunlop roadsmarts; I needed the extra life because she's my daily driver.
yup, roadsmarts.... thats why,handling comes at the expense of tire life, and vice versa

Old 05-20-2010, 01:58 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

And be sure to check your tire pressures.... (you probably already know that, im just throwin it out there)

Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM

Yes when I went from a race type tire to the Michelin Sport Road tires....made more for touring than racing I immediately felt the difference.

Harder to turn and less nimble especially at low speed.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 AM

No SuperHawk/RC51 comparison? I'm sad to see the V-twin liter bikes fade away. If I'm riding in PA, I would always want to trade my cbr f3 for my friend's superhawk. I loved ripping that thing through mountain switchbacks. but the top-end straight aways, they were pretty even.

I'm still thinking the 954 is the same as the 1000 inline 4's of today. you only get the extra power if you're revving the powerband.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 AM

the power to weight ratio with rider is about identical to any current liter bike at 4.4:1
(4.4 lbs to 1 hp) using it however is the challenge for most

Old 07-24-2010, 10:58 PM

hey guys, I'm glad I found this forum! I just purchased my FIRST bike last week, and it's a 954!! I've searched and searched for a few months and found this sweet sweet bike for sale. I'm glad that I have made the right choice, a lot of people have been telling me how I made a great decision to buy this particular bike.

Some people have told me how crazy I am to buy a 954 as my first bike. I disagree. I know these bikes are powerful and fast, and I respect my bike 100%. I haven't taken it to it's limits, and probably won't for a very long time, but it's sure nice to have a super quality bike like the 954rr. same weight (if not less?) than the 600's and lots more power, what's not to like?? and like others have said, the bike looks new!

I absolutely love this bike and I have yet to meet any other rider out there that has anything negative to say about this fine piece.

Just to show how i love this bike (and riding), I never used to be a morning person, now I wake up at 5am to go out and ride before work, and then to work, and then after work. love love love this bike!!

Quick Reply: confused, comparing the 954 to other liter bikes.