CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

CBR Noob, need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR Noob, need your opinion

Hey guys. New to the forum, and need some advice from you 954 owners. I have the chance of picking up a really nice 954, only issue is the bottom of the motor is trashed. Good news, another local guy has the exact motor I need and for a good price too. So I think to myself, old engine out new engine in, shouldnt be TOO hard and I get one hell of a bike for a great deal. But then I think, am I getting in over my head? Im fairly new to motorcycles (i have my own Kawa but havent needed to work on it much) but I have LOTS of experience with cars. I have most tools and have done just about everything you can to autos, but not bikes. So say I have a completly complete engine to replace the bad one with, how much work am I looking at here? Whats the best way to go about replacing the engine? Put the bike on stands? Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this and give an honest responce. Hopefully soon, you will be welcoming me as a new 954rr rider

Old 09-07-2007, 04:36 PM
VP
Default RE: CBR Noob, need your opinion

honestly man I know that replacing an engine is really time consuming and something you have to commit yourself too... getting the old engine out only takes a half a day, but putting the new engine in and rewiring it can take several days if you are properly meticulous... my advice is if you're going to buy your first bike get one that already runs and work on it before you take on a project like this

Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

ORIGINAL: hoke

Hey guys. New to the forum, and need some advice from you 954 owners. I have the chance of picking up a really nice 954, only issue is the bottom of the motor is trashed. Good news, another local guy has the exact motor I need and for a good price too. So I think to myself, old engine out new engine in, shouldnt be TOO hard and I get one hell of a bike for a great deal. But then I think, am I getting in over my head? Im fairly new to motorcycles (i have my own Kawa but havent needed to work on it much) but I have LOTS of experience with cars. I have most tools and have done just about everything you can to autos, but not bikes. So say I have a completly complete engine to replace the bad one with, how much work am I looking at here? Whats the best way to go about replacing the engine? Put the bike on stands? Thanks in advance to anyone who took the time to read this and give an honest responce. Hopefully soon, you will be welcoming me as a new 954rr rider
a rear stand will not do you any good-the swing arm bolts to the rear engine/trans case!!-use a
automotive engine hoist to support the rear frame(seat/rear cowl frame)it will keep the bike from
collapsing on you,once the engine is unbolted!!-also support the engine,as well-i live for this sh*t!!!
i would say remove the rear suspension(complete!),and with the engine supported by a floor jack
(or some type of cradle!)-and the frame supported by a engine hoist-the rest should be a clean
and simple engine removal!-you will probably need to raise the frame a little bit-but doing it like
this,youwill not need any stands.(i would rec owning a set,though!)
just my $.02(i am poor!Name:  sad.gif
Views: 9
Size:  244 Bytes)

good luck

Old 09-09-2007, 11:22 PM

If you are car inclined you are motorcycle inclined. Changing out and engine really is not that hard if you have the tools. I would have to disagree with anyone that tells you otherwise.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 AM

ORIGINAL: demonchild

If you are car inclined you are motorcycle inclined. Changing out and engine really is not that hard if you have the tools. I would have to disagree with anyone that tells you otherwise.
+ 1

Engine swap is easy as cake, skip the ball games Sunday and you will be riding on Monday!

Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 PM

I agree that you should not havea hard time with this project.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:26 PM

I dismantled my bike to replace the engine and polish the frame. 1/2 day to dismantle .. 3/4 to full day to reassemble due to looking for parts torque specs etc.. cant remember if i hung the bike from rafters to start or not.. but i did use concrete blocks 8*8*16" to support it some of the time.. once swingarm was off.

first off get 4 large cardboard boxes and8 small ones.. put your plastics and airboxes into the cardboard boxes with appropriate screws.. etc.. etc..

if you have a large garage layout your parts into a microfiche type order video cam them and place in box... repeat..

if you havent purchased extra fairing clips or fairing screws do so now.. make sure you put the rubber grommet back on with all your fairing screws.. dont overtighten screws on front clip (clip w/headlight) or any others.. better to lose to road vibration than crack an expensive piece of plastic...

buy a new air filter/oil & oil filter/chainlube/good engine sealant/loctite/
if your saving $ at least change the sparkplugs if not the wires.

winter is coming on.. polishing the frame and wheels and swingarm will only take a few days after work.

the most important time saving thing is this.... once you strip all your plastic video cam the wires around the steering column,,,, air lines around airbox, clutch cable ...etc.

this logic only applies to a full dismantling of your bike but will hopefully save you time

i wouldnt buy an engine without hearing it run, unless purchasing for parts. i bought mine from estatemotorcars.com out of new york for around 1k and it came mint cond.. so normal wear and tear and hearing it run i might pay 600$ or so... depending on how badly i needed it.