CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 Wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 954 Wheelie

First - I ain't no stunter. That's why i didn't post this in that section. I'd like to learn better, smoother wheelies. I can get her up in 1st now w/o the clutch by just dumping throtle and cracking it open again. I want to learn a 2nd gear wheelie w/ clutch. Give me some real advise that won't kill me.

Old 12-09-2006, 10:58 PM
VP
Default RE: 954 Wheelie

what gearing do you have?

Old 12-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes. what gearing do you have and you should be able to just give it a handfull of throttle and it will come up in second..

Old 12-10-2006, 12:06 AM

im hoping u have stock gearing since your starting out,its gonna b alot easier, anyways learn wheelies with the clutch it will b alot smoother and u wont b redlined by the time the wheel is up in the air
please learn rear brake control before u go out and dump the clutch too, watchin people slide down the street isnt always funny
and no1 is gonna b able to explain how to clutch up a wheelie to u over the net and u just b able to go out and do it
just practice and u will get it
good luck man,let us know how everything goes

Old 12-10-2006, 12:30 AM

ALWAYS use the clutch. You will end up getting more consistent results. The quicker you pop it up, the easier it is to control and choose what speed you will be at. Make sure you cover the rear brake at all times.

Okay... I just blip the throttle and clutch in first... Easy with stock gearing... You can wring second out a bit more before you clutch. Just take your time, and once you're in the wheelie be SMOOOOOOOTH with the throttle. If you pop it up, get overwhelmed and let off a bit, don't get greedy and get back on that throttle to bring it back up. Just set it down and try again... There is always another wheelie... DON'T GET GREEDY! That's the biggest newbie mistake that leads to the most newbie crashes. Chopping throttle leads to side to side wobbles. Side to side wobbles combined with chopping throttle or whiskey throttling leads to road rash. Biggest thing is to TAKE YOUR TIME and get really comfortable with how the bike is going to react. To get used to clutching it up, just clutch it lightly where you just "hop the wheel off the ground for a second. That will familiarize you with how it's gonna feel and where your clutch is gonna engage. Just take your time... Keep your throttle hand smooth and BE PATIENT, you'll get em. Nothin to it, really. GOOD LUCK!!!

BTW, ....WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!! BE SAFE!!!!

Old 12-10-2006, 01:49 PM

TongWoo:ALWAYS use the clutch. You will end up getting more consistent results. The quicker you pop it up, the easier it is to control and choose what speed you will be at. Make sure you cover the rear brake at all times.
+1
also have a plan-if you have to bring it down quickly-you dont want to slam the boys!!!![sm=nono.gif]

[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 12-10-2006, 07:01 PM

tongwoo i have read alot of "how to wheelie" posts/articles by far urs is the best i now have a complete idea on how to do it but i dont know i wanna put a stuntcage on my bike b4 i do the 954 is my 1st bike and its alot for me im 17 i gonna still get use to it till im 18-19

Old 12-10-2006, 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: fRacer 954RR

tongwoo i have read alot of "how to wheelie" posts/articles by far urs is the best i now have a complete idea on how to do it but i dont know i wanna put a stuntcage on my bike b4 i do the 954 is my 1st bike and its alot for me im 17 i gonna still get use to it till im 18-19

Thanks! Well, like I said, my best advice is to take your time. You're young and you've got plenty of time to learn. Just get to know the bike. You don't always have to run a cage. My 954 is my minty street piece, so I had my cage sponsor just do the top rail of the cage with no lower tubing, so I still have all the clearance and my street bike doesn't look like it's got a jungle gym on it! You can call Ian at SickInnovations.com and ask him about it... Tell him Woo sent ya. It's a good compromise between frame slider and a cage.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:27 PM

aight thanx dyoood!

Old 12-11-2006, 12:40 AM

I personally dont undertand the need for the clutch with any modern bike. I used it on my 600 Hurricane, but the rest of my liter bikes I just roll on it in 1st to bring it up and shift to 2nd-3rd or what ever to sustain/lower RPM. Just my opinion, Im no stunter, just do the occasional wheelie/stoppie.

Quick Reply: 954 Wheelie