CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 rad hose leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 954 rad hose leaking

Hi lads I was changing the coolant because of a leak at the water pump (common problem I believe ) replaced the gasket and o ring and all is fine and dandy except for when I refit the relevant hoses
There was a leak from the small hose that connects to the plastic pipe (the one which connects from the water pump to the reservoir bottle and then to the bottom of the rad left hand side ) anyways I was conscious of not over tightening the hose clip but it still leaked I tightened it a little more then cracked the #^%**! Pipe
Parts are on order but I was wondering if there's a trick to fitting it on to make a perfect seal first time
The hose and pipe were perfect before I removed them I suspect disturbing them caused the problem in the first place I dont fancy cracking it again have any of you guys had this problem
Any help much appreciated

Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most water pump leaks are due to the internal seal going bad which cannot be replaced. If you have fluid coming from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump then changing the gasket and o-ring will not fix your leak. I know because I had to change my water pump last year.

What were you using to tighten the clamp? Post a pic of the part that cracked. I don't recall any plastic parts on the pump cover. It should be a small piece of metal pipe that is pressed into the cover that has the smallest hose attached to it.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM
Official Glory Detailer

use 1/4 inch drive sockets to snug the hose clamp just snug it dont torque it

Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i had a small leak like that on the other side. i added another hose clamp and it fixed it.....

Old 02-23-2012, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by backdoc
Most water pump leaks are due to the internal seal going bad which cannot be replaced. If you have fluid coming from the weep hole on the bottom of the pump then changing the gasket and o-ring will not fix your leak. I know because I had to change my water pump last year.

What were you using to tighten the clamp? Post a pic of the part that cracked. I don't recall any plastic parts on the pump cover. It should be a small piece of metal pipe that is pressed into the cover that has the smallest hose attached to it.
it was the water pump gasket thats all sorted the problem is with the bottom the hose which goes from the water pump to the 3 way plastic pipe which connects the water pump,the resevoir bottle and the left bottom rad hose thats the pipe i cracked

Old 02-23-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
i had a small leak like that on the other side. i added another hose clamp and it fixed it.....
you put two clamps beside each other .......never thought of that

Old 02-24-2012, 11:16 AM

If the hose has enough slack, then cut the end off, so you aren't using the stretched out part. If it's just a regular hose, then replace it with a new one.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:52 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by deltel
you put two clamps beside each other .......never thought of that
ya, i had just bought the bike.... i test rode it, really went through it.... it was fine. then when i rode it home (35 miles or so), i noticed the smell of coolant when i put it in the driveway. i loosened the clamps, pulled the hose off, added another clamp, put hose back on, tightened clamps, no more leak. i think i still smelled it for a few short rides, but after that it had sealed...

pretty inexpensive way to see if you can save it

Old 02-24-2012, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
ya, i had just bought the bike.... i test rode it, really went through it.... it was fine. then when i rode it home (35 miles or so), i noticed the smell of coolant when i put it in the driveway. i loosened the clamps, pulled the hose off, added another clamp, put hose back on, tightened clamps, no more leak. i think i still smelled it for a few short rides, but after that it had sealed...

pretty inexpensive way to see if you can save it
Yeah great idea I'll try it when the new pipe arrives thank again