CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

954 fresh oil looks and feels like chocolate milk. also loads up & runs rich

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BINGO! JACKPOT ****'S! all this work and tuning up, going through nearly e-v-r-y-thing for the last month has finally paid off! (im doing the macarena dance in my shop around my bike as we speak, literally)! i knew i'd get it. it was a bad connection at the kickstand switch. the switch was deleted by the previous owner, he just cut the wires and twisted together all ghetto like with no electrical tape or nothing, just curled up and shoved back into the oem wire loom plastic protective sleeve. the wires were so corroded from being exposed that there was no good connection and it was making the bike throw all kinds of crazy codes and run rich, blowing black smoke. i just cut the wires twisted them and put a buttend connector on it then taped it up real good , tucked it away and when i fired up the engine there was no MIL and FI lights, no black smoke when i blipped the throttle. it sounds and runs sooo much better now, especially with the wire harness/ grounds connections cleaning i did, fresh tune and throttle bodies sync. thank goodness...now onto the fork seals and fresh fork oil, tweeking suspension, then front fender.

next week deals gap, smokey mountains, gatlinburg...here i come!!shoot, after that i can concentrate on getting it back to near perfect cosmetically. road trip first though

thanks for the extra help every one, thanks for hanging in there with me. much much appreciated.

Last edited by cBrentb; 07-13-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 PM

not a lot of talkers in the 954 crowd i see. had a great four hour ride today. lol, for anyone who give a ****, bike runs good. peeps have a good week.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:26 AM

Great to hear u have the 954 performing as intended at last, I'd reckon your mates would be having trouble spotting any black smoke on shifts now cos they'd be a corner behind u !

Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 PM

Thanks, looks like its burning oil internally. No signs of smoke, just low oil level after a couple hundred miles.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cBrentb

next week deals gap, smokey mountains, gatlinburg...here i come!!shoot, after that i can concentrate on getting it back to near perfect cosmetically. road trip first though

thanks for the extra help every one, thanks for hanging in there with me. much much appreciated.
glad she's running right now! wiring is a funny thing. it can cause all kinds of crazy ****. have fun on your trip, i was in gatlinburg today - tons of people, but the weather was perfect. also did about 100 miles on the blue ridge pkwy, it was great. not too many people at all (i'm sure it's different on the weekend).

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM

thanks, yes im headed that way on saturday from columbia, sc.

the bike really needs to be riden. its consuming enough oil to have me concerned, however, i think its because the previous owner was so slack on maintenance. the throttle bodies, intake valves, exhaust system and inside the engine are so severly coated with black sooty carbon its unreal. when i bought the bike it had a totally clogged air filter and totally fouled plugs, prob never changed the oil filer, and it had an oil leak so bad at the water pump he never had to change the oil he just had to top it off every other day (that might have actually saved the motor because at least it was getting fresh oil, lol. im leaning more towards lack of maintenance than bad piston rings (fingers crossed we will see on this first road trip).

back to the engine, i know the engine is coated big timewith carbon and soot build up because, i can change the oil and filter with rotella t6 and two-three hundred miles later its sooty black and really thinned out. i think thats why its consuming oil because its so thin and sooty passing through the rings or else where. because it doesnt smoke on hard [wide open throttle] excelleration or when i hold the throttle, only when i chop it real quik or im sitting in stop and go traffic does it poof a little black smoke.

simply put, all the bike really needs is to be riden on a handful of long road trips, burn 4-6 six tanks of fuel with seafoam, with 500-1000 mile oil and filter change intervals until the oil starts staying cleaner longer and the engine cleans itself out. idiots call this an engine flush , i call it regular maintenance. lol

thanks again i'll send out a notice when im leaving for TN on saturday, just in case some of you might be in the area out riding. im coming up highway 28 into deals gap and going around foorthills parkway through townsend and into pigeon forge and gatlinburg.

Last edited by cBrentb; 07-16-2013 at 01:39 AM.