CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

wholy problems....

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation wholy problems....

So a month ago bought a 2001 CBR 929, rode around for awhile, loved it thought I got a decent deal on a decent bike!! I knew it had gone down at low speeds just by the cosmetic dagmage, however the battery continued to die every week or so after I replaced it it waas fine for two weeks and then died, I replaced the rectifier and decided to do a little preventative maintenace, so I got new plugs had them professionally gapped, replaced them with the new battery and new rectifier, now the bike will not stay running, I think the plug 3rd (from left to right) spark coil is not seating correctly feels loose....and also throwing a "34" code which is the EGCV, how do I bypass that as mine is not connected to anything but the computer, i am not overly familiar with bikes so be gentle lol

Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 AM

if the EGCV (htev) solenoid is still in place, hook it back up, just disconnect the cables. As long as the solenoid is disconnected it will throw error codes for the efi. I still have my htev solenoid in place with the cables disconnected and valve removed. No error codes.
Best thing to do is either allow the HTEV to function as designed, turn the valve by hand and tie it open (there are write ups about how to do this), remove it all together and put in a HTEV eliminator from Hass motorsports, or replace the entire exhaust.
As for the not running routine, try to seat the coil correctly, make sure all the electrical parts for the ignition are still connected as they are supposed to be.
good luck

Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Have u checked th plugs? R they getting fouled up? If u got th right Iridium plugs they should not have needed to be gapped cuz they come pre-gapped plus electrode is very sensitive.

Do u have to hold th throttle for it to stay on?

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM

+1 on the plugs NOT NEEDED to be gapped. You can still gap them, professionally of course, but it is not needed. If you did not get the iridium plugs, go ahead and get them, worth the extra 10 bucks(for all 4).

You have to push the ignition coils(coil plugs) down pretty hard until they are fully seated. You will be able to spin them like a clock, but shouldn't move up and down.

Check your battery connections also. Maybe somewhere/somehow it is not 100% connected.

As for the EGCV, I have no comment. I don't know jack about 'em so hopefully others will chime in and help on that one.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Hope you like it around these parts, you can use the "search" function at the top of the page to look around the site while you are waiting for replies(might help you find an answer). Where are you from? Post up some pics when you get a chance and once again welcome, BRO!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:17 AM

i got NGK iriduim plugs at O'reilly's for $7 a pop. the stealership wanted $20 for each.

im not familiar with the htev. maybe the malfunctioning servo is causing your whole system to starve for air or its choking at the exhaust. just a thought.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM

I ordered a new wiring harness for the light assembly as well as a coil for the third spark plug ( left to right)...... I had re-hooked the servo motor to the wiring harness and thats it....but the bike was still throwing "34" code.... Do I need to get the main computer reset??

Old 03-13-2012, 07:44 PM

Do the wired coming out of the "alternator" (crankcase on left side) have a designated way they go, they are all the same color.....