CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New with some problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New with some problems

Hey guys, I just signed up and I currently have the 98 F3. Here is what has happened. After driving it home (about an hour trip) it started leaking gas in my garage. After messing with the "petcock"? The On,Off,Reserve switch for the fuel it stopped. That seemed to have worked and it ran fine the day after. On my way to work today it died but it sounded like it just ran out of gas. It was a bit low i am assuming that's what it was because after needing a jump and putting some more gas in it, i rode off and got to work.

Does that seem like it was just hitting the reserve? And I needed to switch it on? Should I invest in a new "petcock" for the bike? And is it supposed to be
down V - On, Left < Off, Up ^ Reserve? I have looked around and that is what it seems to be. Also there seems to be a little bit of ticking from the motor.

Its a 98 with 30,600 miles on it.

Thanks,

Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM

kinda sounds like someone has removed your fuel pump, which would be why it floods out if you leave petcock on when its not running, and also if they did then you won't have a reserve, as soon as fuel gets low about (1/3 tank left) it doesn't flow to the carbs anymore.

check and see if you still have a fuel pump, it should be located behind the gear shift side (rear tail) just below your seat.

Last edited by jveach; 08-09-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:26 AM

If you don't have one, you may want to check out this link ( https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f3...l-pump-116515/ ) I highly recommend putting it back onto your bike, I've know people to run without one for a long time, but you will never have your bike run too 100% of what it can if you don't

Old 08-09-2011, 05:52 PM

Hi All,

I'm having a similar problem too - I'm curious about the fuel pump thing, because I just noticed that I don't have one anymore.

I just had a family friend help me with the bike to get it (97 F3) back up and running, and replaced the Rectifier/Regulator (R/R).
He also told me that if I kept it at least 1/3 full and the Petcock off when it was parked, that it would work just fine.
(I forgot that this was because the Fuel Pump was removed, but I figured this out after reading this post).

When I first got the bike back, it worked great. But I have been having the problem of bogging down like I'm out of gas, even on a full tank.
After it stalled out on the freeway on me, I'm scared to ride it till I know what's going on. I don't want to be roadkill

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it sounds like we are having somewhat similar problems.... Any insights on what might be causing my problem?

Old 08-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by woodgolf
Hi All,

I'm having a similar problem too - I'm curious about the fuel pump thing, because I just noticed that I don't have one anymore.

I just had a family friend help me with the bike to get it (97 F3) back up and running, and replaced the Rectifier/Regulator (R/R).
He also told me that if I kept it at least 1/3 full and the Petcock off when it was parked, that it would work just fine.
(I forgot that this was because the Fuel Pump was removed, but I figured this out after reading this post).

When I first got the bike back, it worked great. But I have been having the problem of bogging down like I'm out of gas, even on a full tank.
After it stalled out on the freeway on me, I'm scared to ride it till I know what's going on. I don't want to be roadkill

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but it sounds like we are having somewhat similar problems.... Any insights on what might be causing my problem?

This is the problem I was saying your bike would never be 100% without one, when you come under hard acceleration or you are at a high rate of speed (hwy speeds) the fuel will no longer flow to the carbs correctly and it will starve for gas. Same goes as if you are stuck in traffic for awhile, It will flood the carbs. The fuel pump on these bikes is a very low PSI pump and its basic job is to keep the gas at the correct pressure in the carbs at all times, Without it. This will never happen.

Basic thing to remember is Honda spent millions of dollars designing these bikes, If something was put on there it was there for a good reason. They don't just put anything on to a streetbike, they spend countless hours and money trying to figure out if the weight of putting it on there is worth the gain in performance.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:16 PM

Yeah, Good point on the fuel pump I mean, it's the most obvious thing...just hoping it wasn't.

But the mechanic guy made it sound like gravity would do the trick. The thing is, it's less of a "performance" issue for me than an "I'm-driving-like-a-grandma-and-it-still-stalls" issue. I'm not even talking real fast hwy speeds... I mean, like 65-70, not exactly hitting it hard.

Question is, will the cheapie Autozone version work? Or do I have to drop $160 for the "real thing?"

Normally I would just go with the real deal, but if it isn't certain that this is it... (let's say it ends up being the coils or something else) then it would be nice to be able to afford the next fix.

Hoping you're right jveach!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:26 PM

I ran one from Autozone and didn't ever have any real problems from it. The stock one is a weak point on these bikes and tends to fail quite often.

Also yeah it can still effect you, because fuel pressure isn't at a steady PSI, if your not at high enough rpm it can overcome your floats and cause it to bog down and even die at normal granny driving. Until you have one installed if you are just granny driving around like that, pull the clutch and give her a few quick taps on the gas. It may help you clear it out. What you are having is the issue alot of people call (carbs loading up) this is the cause of it.

Sadly as much as I hate to say it, most mechanic guys are not that great with sportbikes. They have spent there lives working on harley's and other simple bikes and have trouble on the more complex bikes like the CBR's. Its truly hard to find a good sportbike mechanic.

Last edited by jveach; 08-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.