Throttle Position and MAP sensors - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Old 02-05-2011, 12:29 AM

Angry Throttle Position and MAP sensors

OK... I am almost to embassed to post this but if anyone else has this issue then I want to help them out. I was doing maintenence and other repairs on my 929, so I checked the valve clearence, replaced the valve cover gasket, Exhaust manifold gaskets, Clutch basket, clutch, sprockets and chain. I had most of the wiring off and out of my way while doing this. I got the bike back together and it would start and run but had absolutly no throttle response. I could slowly get it up to 7,000 - 8,000 RPM but if you goose it, the bike would bog down and die. I almost wore the manual out doing test and thought my TPS was bad, so started pulling it back apart. After getting the throttle bodies off I noticed that the MAP and the TPS connector was the EXACT same. The harness will reach either way. Long story short if you mix the two connectors it will run, but it will not run very good... Dont laugh at me TO hard and I hope it helps you if you have the same issues....

Last edited by Gearhead80; 02-05-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 PM

thanks for the info! i probably would of never figured it out if i was you. lol
i think i would of ended thinking i messed the valve timing up or something!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:35 PM

Masking tape + Sharpie = Your best friend. Always label when taking apart automotive/motorcycle electrical connectors.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:31 PM

This just happend to me. I had a short and fried the main harness so I yanked it out and threw a new one in bike would run but very slugish I thought something else fried so I kinda just let it sit. And been googling stuff and viola I read something similar I switched the plugs but haven't ran the bike. I guess its a simple mistake.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead80 View Post
OK... I am almost to embassed to post this but if anyone else has this issue then I want to help them out. I was doing maintenence and other repairs on my 929, so I checked the valve clearence, replaced the valve cover gasket, Exhaust manifold gaskets, Clutch basket, clutch, sprockets and chain. I had most of the wiring off and out of my way while doing this. I got the bike back together and it would start and run but had absolutly no throttle response. I could slowly get it up to 7,000 - 8,000 RPM but if you goose it, the bike would bog down and die. I almost wore the manual out doing test and thought my TPS was bad, so started pulling it back apart. After getting the throttle bodies off I noticed that the MAP and the TPS connector was the EXACT same. The harness will reach either way. Long story short if you mix the two connectors it will run, but it will not run very good... Dont laugh at me TO hard and I hope it helps you if you have the same issues....
I did something similar and was pulling my hair out with no revs if you opened it up quick. And nearly bought a set of throttle biddies and a fuel pump ! I had had the thing in bits so many times and then saw your thread and checked mine against wiring diagram they where in the wrong place swapped em over all good big smile so thank you very very much