CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

K&N versus Dynojet Power Commander?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N versus Dynojet Power Commander?

Looking to get a power commander for my '00 929 and figured I would get everyone's input concerning their preference between K&N and Dynojet. I am finding the K&N on Ebay for $220 shipped and the Dynojet everywhere for $260 + shipping.

I am fairly mechanically inclined. Is it a big deal to get it setup?

If I wasn't to do the install myself, how much should I expect to pay a shop to put it on? Anyone have any personal experience for install price from any shop in the Baltimore or Anne Arundel County area in Maryland?

Edit: Forgot to say that I did try to search and didn't find much else other than it would appear that the 929 and 954 pc may be interchangeable with proper mapping.

Edit #2: Forgot to say that I have a Micron slip on muffler, a K&N air filter, and not sure yet what the previous owner did with the sprocket, but am sure something has been done.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Default RE: K&N versus Dynojet Power Commander?

There's a good article in here somewhere on pc's. In the article it says the unit is the same, different stickers. Don't know about the rest, thought I'd put one on too over the winter.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 AM

Edit: Forgot to say that I did try to search and didn't find much else other than it would appear that the 929 and 954 pc may be interchangeable with proper mapping.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:05 AM

The dyno jet is more common there for offers more support. It's easy to set up and use. VERY easy.
As for being interchangable, it all depends on the harness. If the harnes is the same then it'll work fine. The PC it self is no different from any brand/CC, it's all about how it interfaces. You could hardwire a PC from a Harley onto your 929 if you knew what wires were doing what. Of course the map would have to be changed but that can be done in literally seconds.
If you aren't running a full system (exhaust) and a few other mods, downloading a pre-made map will get you close enough. If you have a full systems and other performance mods then a custom tune is probably worth the 2-300 you'll spend to get it done. It will run best after a custom map no matter what mods you have done, but is it worth the 3 bills for a custom tune on slip-on? Probably not.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:16 AM

Edit #2: Forgot to say that I have a Micron slip on muffler, a K&N air filter, and not sure yet what the previous owner did with the sprocket, but am sure something has been done.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 PM

not too familiar with the K&N. it'sprobably the same,but the bigger question is whether it's USB and also if you have a CA legal bike, don't get the CA legal PCIIIEX USB because that one doesn't allow you the luxury of full adjustments on the lower throttle and RPM ranges. get the full racing one so that you can get maximum flexibility...who gives a crap about the environment

Old 10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can run a 954 powercommander on a 929, I am currently doing so. you can just download a 929 map into it, I actually am running a 954 map on my 929 and it seems to run really well, so well in fact I don't want to try other maps. it doesn't matter if its usb or serial port you can still get it tuned its just easier to tune with the usb port dealing with these new computers. you can also get a serial port to usb adapter from like radio shack for like $30 bucks.

the connections to the actual fuel injector harness is the same on both bikes so either will work on either bike.

k&n or dynojet all the same, it was just a way of cross promoting each others stuff..

a good web-site is www.hardracing.com

check it out

Old 10-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Permanent ROTM Nominee
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to be more specific this is the fastest way to the information I wanted yall to see its at the bottom of the page!

http://www.hardracing.com/Misc/929Info.htm