CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas??

Sup y'all, I'm an old member back. I was without a bike and then on a kawi for awhile, now i got me a 00 929.

Just bought her a couple of weeks back, have not really ridden her yet; with the snow and cold weather Minnesota keeps getting. I did by chance get to ride her for about a mile and noticed a couple of little things that i need to fix, but unsure what it is to say exactly. From idle stop to taking off roughly to 4-5000 maybe even 6000rpm there is a sputter, like she wants to kill and i'm trying to give her gas without giving to much. There is a power commander, but i'm leaning towards the coil packs and someone else mentioned maybe the injectors. I'm planning on changing the plugs soon, but just curious if there is a way to tell if the coils are good. The previous owner said it had the sputter since last season, but just revved out of it. I think it's rather annoying and would rather fix before it couses more issues. Just trying to see what to order.

Thanks

Old 02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by psycojester
Sup y'all, I'm an old member back. I was without a bike and then on a kawi for awhile, now i got me a 00 929.

Just bought her a couple of weeks back, have not really ridden her yet; with the snow and cold weather Minnesota keeps getting. I did by chance get to ride her for about a mile and noticed a couple of little things that i need to fix, but unsure what it is to say exactly. From idle stop to taking off roughly to 4-5000 maybe even 6000rpm there is a sputter, like she wants to kill and i'm trying to give her gas without giving to much. There is a power commander, but i'm leaning towards the coil packs and someone else mentioned maybe the injectors. I'm planning on changing the plugs soon, but just curious if there is a way to tell if the coils are good. The previous owner said it had the sputter since last season, but just revved out of it. I think it's rather annoying and would rather fix before it couses more issues. Just trying to see what to order.

Thanks
Does your bike still have the factory HTEV just after the header? Does the FI light flash on the speedo with the bike running? The servo gears could be stripped and the exhaust valve stuck. This could cause the bike to run rough at low speeds/rpm.

Instead of checking the coils just check the header pipes with the bike running. Get a spray bottle filled with water and once the bike is hot spray/mist a little water on each header pipe. If the cylinder is firing good each pipe should be hot enough to evaporate the water very fast. If all the header pipes are hot then the coils are fine. If one cylinder seems off from the rest then I would suspect its time to change the spark plugs.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it sound like a lawnmower or 2-stroke? Number 1 indicator of bad spark. Backdocs got you going where you need to go.....