CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

How can I beat an R1

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I beat an R1

I have a 929rr with a jardine half system and the rest of the bike stock. When I do a role on against my buddies R1 i pull from him 2 bikes then he walks me down and pulls away. What else can i do to get beat this stinkin R1 or get close enought to it???

Old 07-05-2006, 12:44 PM
Old 07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Default RE: How can I beat an R1

K&N air and sprocket kit should help you out a bit

Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Amaese

K&N air and sprocket kit should help you out a bit

K&Ns arent any help. Most cases on a 929 you lose 1 or 2 HP (and thats a dyno proven fact). Sprockets will help off the line from a standstill, but you will lose top end. Neither of those ideas will help.

You have 71cc's less engine than your freind, its just simple math. Unless you get into some SERIOUS engine mods or get nitrous or some other power adder, its not happening.

If you want to beat your freinds R-1, get a CBR 1000RR.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:47 PM

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=26&c=48
Regarding K&N's, here's some "dyno proven facts" brought to you by an independent 3rd party with a chart or two. Also, I was unable to find anything even remotely suggestive to K&Ns causing loss of power.
I didn't get the impression they were racing to top ends, when the Birdman mentioned rolling on the throttle, that suggested to me that they're racing from a standstill or low speed, in which case, yes the sprocket kit will indeed help.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:29 PM

turbo!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 PM

http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index..._v2&id=26&c=48
Regarding K&N's, here's some "dyno proven facts" brought to you by an independent 3rd party with a chart or two. Also, I was unable to find anything even remotely suggestive to K&Ns causing loss of power.
I didn't get the impression they were racing to top ends, when the Birdman mentioned rolling on the throttle, that suggested to me that they're racing from a standstill or low speed, in which case, yes the sprocket kit will indeed help.
I would rather not play the debate game with you, but there are plenty of "independant" tests that show a slight power loss with K&Ns on 929s. They key point of my statement was 9-2-9. NOT K&Ns in general. I have (and still do) use K&Ns on my vehicles including my Vette, but not on my 929. I have read a few reports, WITH supporting dyno charts that show Honda CBR 929 RRs do not respond well to K&Ns and in fact produce more power with a stock filter. And even if by some miracle he got 2 HP out of a filter, it isnt going to help him beat an R-1 is it?

As far as him racing, he was clear that it was from a roll. Rolling doesn't suggest from a stand still. And when someone says roll, they don't usually mean 5 mph. In any case, gearing helps acceleration from a stand still or low speeds, but won't help in the upper end at all. You assumed they are racing at low speeds? What exactly made you assume that? Unless they are racing for a few seconds and never leaving 2nd gear, I seriously doubt its very "low" speed.

As far as a turbo, or supercharger, or some other $4K+ modification, he could take the money and trade in his 929 and buy a 1000RR instead.

Bottom line.... There is no inexpensive way for a 929 to beat an R-1 with a few bolt-ons or a miracle air filter.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:42 AM

That's interesting, honestly, if you can send me a link showing a 929 losing power due to a K&N, I would appreciate it. I can warn other 929ers not to waste their money. It just doesn't make sense to me how an air filter can help out thousands of racing bikes win all sorts of races every year then suddenly hurt a specific model of a bike by using the same technology as they do with the others. But that link would be great! Seeing how they are bothing pushing about 150 HP at sea level (contact me for ref. links), yes, every bit of HP counts!

As far as him rolling on the throttle, how many guys decide to start a race and "roll on" when they are already going 100+mph? Not too many, in fact alot of street races don't even make it too that speed more than less start off there, so I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that they aren't going so fast that the sprocket kit is not going to affect him negatively.
So I do indeed believe that these two things will help him, however you did make a good point, a 1000k will be an excellent way to give him a little more competition.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:59 AM

That's interesting, honestly, if you can send me a link showing a 929 losing power due to a K&N, I would appreciate it. I can warn other 929ers not to waste their money. It just doesn't make sense to me how an air filter can help out thousands of racing bikes win all sorts of races every year then suddenly hurt a specific model of a bike by using the same technology as they do with the others. But that link would be great! Seeing how they are bothing pushing about 150 HP at sea level (contact me for ref. links), yes, every bit of HP counts!

As far as him rolling on the throttle, how many guys decide to start a race and "roll on" when they are already going 100+mph? Not too many, in fact alot of street races don't even make it too that speed more than less start off there, so I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that they aren't going so fast that the sprocket kit is not going to affect him negatively.
So I do indeed believe that these two things will help him, however you did make a good point, a 1000k will be an excellent way to give him a little more competition.
I don't have specific links, its been a while since I read them. Why don't you use some of that huge brainpower you have and search the internet. What I do remember reading was that the air box configuration, velocity stack placement and a few other things are what contribute to the loss in power on primarily stock 929s. The K&N had a slightly negative effect on the air flowing into the velocity stacks at certain stages in the RPM band which in turn resulted in some minor power losses.

They help thousands of bikes win races? LOL... I guess its the air filters winning the races, NOT the insane amount of money that the race teams and thier sponsers spend in R&D, engine building and tuning, chasis development, etc... The REPSOL team in Moto GP leases (not buys, LEASES) the 1000RRs the race from HRC for over 7 figures per season. Those idiots! They just needed to slap in a K&N and change the gears! They don't need modified 1000RRs to win races! I personally don't care what you beleive or don't beleive, and I am not going to waste any more time debating this.

As far as how fast they are going when they roll on, thats irrelivent. What matters is how LONG they race. Yes, gears will help him get a bit of a jump very early from a stand still or a very low speed roll. But it wont take the R-1 very long to overtake him because he won't have the upper rpm range regardless of what gear he is in. I'll give an example that even you might understand. In drag racing, you can build a car to run some serious times in the 1/8 mile by using a very low gear which gives you monster acceleration. However, the same car tops out so fast that its 1/4 mile time is horrible because what you gain in the lower end, you give up in the higher end. Thats an extreme case but the principle is the same. Yes gears can help with acceleration to a point, but ultimately they cannot compensate for the difference in power unless the rpm range is increased accordingly (which means serious mods).

Curious. What the hell is "a 1000k"? What I said was a $4K+ modification (translated into simple english I meant $4,000.00 or more), like a supercharger or turbo.

Sorry if I hurt your feelings earlier when I said a K&N and gears won't help him beat an R-1, but sometimes the truth hurts. Get over it.

Old 07-06-2006, 11:23 AM

well im going with nitrous so we wil see what the outcome is with a little extra horsepower.I appreciate all the help and even the negative i guess there are some unfaithfull 929 riders here !!

Quick Reply: How can I beat an R1