CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

HELP!!: Took Apart My Bike To Pieces, Need advise about how to store it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb HELP!!: Took Apart My Bike To Pieces, Need advise about how to store it!!!!

Hi all I took apart my 01 CBR 929RR a few days ago and put new oil,new oil filter,lube was chained, and new air filter.. Basically to take off the gas tank i unbolted my fuel pump and covered it with a microfiber towel and put it on the frame of my bike, is that okay to do as the parts will be getting painted for at least 2 weeks.

My bike looks like **** right now all metal everything is in bits and pieces i dont even know how im going to put it back together and in what order. so basically my question is as anyone elses who never did this.. anything i should know specifically to make sure my bike is ok when i put it back together...

also when i took off the gas tank there is a tube hanging from it that tube has a small rip in the top of it what does it do i cannot seem to find where it goes...also do i need to tape off the gas tank when giving it to be painted??

Thanks in advance!!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you disconnect the battery? You could have just removed the fuel lines and left the fuel pump in the tank.

You should have taken lots of pictures and made notes for yourself during disassembly. Always place any bolt back in its original hole if possible to keep from loosing them. If you follow the service manual you should have no problem putting your bike back together.

There is one small vent hose that runs over near the starter and does not connect to anything. If you are paying someone to paint your bike they should do all the taping required on the tank.

Old 02-28-2011, 01:30 AM

Lots of people forget to plug the fuel pump back in (that's what I tell myself when I do it...), but it sounds like yours is still plugged in. The fuel tank will have the return line you probably un-clipped, a vent line, and an overflow line. The latter two pass through by the engine and dangle down so if you overfill the tank the extra fuel goes on the pavement and not on your nice new paintjob. The vent goes right with it, but I run mine into my helmet.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:07 AM

Can you give a brief description on what you did remove besides plastics and tank? if you didnt remove wheels, swingarm, forks, or motor then i can walk you through putting it togather. On the fuel tank you have a total of four hoses, and one electrical plug. 2 vent hoses, a small one and a large one. A fuel feed line that is clamped on both sides. A fuel return line that has a banjo bolt on the end. A description of exactly what is off will help, pics would be better.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
Can you give a brief description on what you did remove besides plastics and tank? if you didnt remove wheels, swingarm, forks, or motor then i can walk you through putting it togather. On the fuel tank you have a total of four hoses, and one electrical plug. 2 vent hoses, a small one and a large one. A fuel feed line that is clamped on both sides. A fuel return line that has a banjo bolt on the end. A description of exactly what is off will help, pics would be better.
Originally Posted by backdoc
Did you disconnect the battery? You could have just removed the fuel lines and left the fuel pump in the tank.

You should have taken lots of pictures and made notes for yourself during disassembly. Always place any bolt back in its original hole if possible to keep from loosing them. If you follow the service manual you should have no problem putting your bike back together.

There is one small vent hose that runs over near the starter and does not connect to anything. If you are paying someone to paint your bike they should do all the taping required on the tank.

/87\
]]]]
here is the thing its a black tube connected to the gas tank and it cannot be disconnected so basically i figured that it is a drain... now problem is im guessing it runs to the bottom of the bike to just drain excess overspill on the concrete.... where do i run it through when i put the lower fenders(fairings) back on.

also i took a few pics just to renember what goes where but no i did not take notes as i was very excited to get it over with it took a while but what im guessing is i start from the front face of the bike and work my way back tucking everything together piece by piece..

is there any advice any of you guys on here can give me at all regarding putting it back together ...

and also can someone tell me where the drain tube is ran through and ran to....

thanks guys im new to maintaining my own bike so this is a new experience

Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM

I have mine taken completely apart also and I removed The fuel pump also because its getting painted but all the hoses are pretty much dummy proof, their are on two that are similar and thing to remember is the hose that has the clamps on it the connects to the curbed piping on the pump an that hos runs to the regulator being the air cover! The two hoses that just fall to the concrete wound route thru the space of the swingarm and the frame to the ground! The last hose is the pressure valve with the banjo bolt and the connect to the last available spot that requires a bolt obviously! When resembling it all use some alcohol 50/50 around the metal little tubes on the tank to make is easier to slide the hoses back on an the thick rubber hose, if u split that then simply use the other end, but connect the drain hoses first. and route Them to the ground then connect Ur banjoed hose then Ur clamped hose and their u have it!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

i have a feeling its gonna be a veryyyyy difficult mission to put everything back together cause it looks extremely easy to take off but very hard to put back on =/

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by vwmaniacvr6
Lots of people forget to plug the fuel pump back in (that's what I tell myself when I do it...), but it sounds like yours is still plugged in. The fuel tank will have the return line you probably un-clipped, a vent line, and an overflow line. The latter two pass through by the engine and dangle down so if you overfill the tank the extra fuel goes on the pavement and not on your nice new paintjob. The vent goes right with it, but I run mine into my helmet.
HA ! I used to do that but now I just take a few hits off the exhaust at red lights....