F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Proper Way to store Bike for Winter???

Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper Way to store Bike for Winter???

What is the proper way to winterize bike? I usually just put it in basement for winter without hooking up to battery tender or anyting. I have new battery this year. Do i need a tender or will it be ok? also what gas levels should be in the bike? should i run it empty or fill it and put some sort of stabalizer in the tank? what about fluids? Im sort of ignorant so all advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Old 10-29-2009, 10:11 AM

I normally store mine in the garage.

First thing I do is get the tires off the concrete so they dont sit all winter. I then fill the tank up and add stabil fluid to the tank.

Last thing I do is use a battery tender jr to the battery.

All other fluids I usually change when I take the bike back out in spring. Oil change etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would use Ethenol treatment stabilzer and maybe some sea foam. I have mine in the basement and have a rug underneath it but a bike stand works too. I use only 91 octane because gas really sucks now.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:27 PM

AHHHHHHH I FORGOT TO TAKE OUT MY BATTERY....

****... thanks for reminding me...

Old 10-29-2009, 12:44 PM

put the stabilizer in it and thn run it for half hour or so to get it circulated through the system. If you are really paranoid don't leave much fuel in it because ethonol is hydroscopic (personally, I woulsn't worry about what fuel level is in it).

Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM

I get to use my F4i year round!
South Texas probably gets as low as 40 degrees, if that! WoOT!

Lol, seriously though, I'd worry most about two things.
1) Adding some kind of Fuel Stabilizer.
2) Taking out the battery and putting it on a battery tender. (Although when I lived in Maryland and winterized, I hooked up the tender directly to the battery in motorbike, no problems)

Double check all fluid levels when Spring/Summer season comes along, and you're all set.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winterizing tips..

I live in Maine and its so cold here you don't want to go outside unless you have about four layers on sometimes.
When you put the battery back in depending on if it has water in it or not remember to check the levels to because you can ruin a cell with no water and also don't put it on concrete either.
It drains a battery..
Another thing make sure its room temp if your charging it...

As far as fuel levels, I have about a 1/4 tank in one of my hurricanes of which has been stabilzed plenty. Fuel seperates after about 3 months.
I plan on starting my bike pretty often but thats my choice.
The lawnmower battery I removed over a week ago and is sitting on a shelf.
Don't forget your outside hose too...lol

Old 10-30-2009, 03:45 PM

anything wrong with just not winterizing a bike and starting it up like twice a week?

Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Evolution_X
anything wrong with just not winterizing a bike and starting it up like twice a week?
No - truth be told there probably isn't anything wrong with lnot winterizing it and starting it once between now and next spring....

Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the battery out, and with a liquid cooled bike make sure the coolant is good for whatever temp it will be stored at. You don't want to take it out in the spring and find your block's cracked because the coolant froze. Fuel stabilizer is a good idea, but I've never had any problem with gas going bad without it over the winter (or over the summer, with snowmobiles).

I don't see the point of a battery tender, personally I think it's a scam. I grew up working in the family bike/snowmobile dealership and one class of vehicle or the other was always sitting waiting for the right season. Thousands of batteries over the years, stored at room temp on a shelf, not one ever saw a tender and didn't hurt any of them a bit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proper Way to store Bike for Winter???