CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

HELP! Dead, no power..with new battery!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Dead, no power..with new battery!

I've got a 01 929. Got it about 2yrs ago. I have noticed for at least the last year it doesn't like to sit. First was about a week or two without the trickle charger, then a few days, recently it was overnight, then finally the trickler won't do anything for it. Figured a bad stator relay and my procrastination killed the battery, cause I tried to start the bike and it first just click click click click'ed. Gave it a bit, then click click...nothing. I mean NO juice to anything. No headlight, no instrument panel, nothing. Gave it a minute more, and the headlight and dash panel lite up for a moment; then all dead again; and ever since. Hmm. Bought a new battery and stator relay. STILL nothing...no juice. :idunno: Checked the fuses in the box next to the stator relay and all where good. Not sure was else it could be. I have had "issues" with the ignition key lock thingy before. Basically if i put the key in about halfway, I can spin the whole lock cylinder around and around...not sure if this is normal. Could it have a bad connection inside it now? If it did, could it prevent power to the dash and headlight and etc? Lost.... Oh, after I put in the new battery and while connecting the new stator relay, the two hex screw leads touched each other. When the touched, the bike cranked over?!? (the key was in it and on the 'on' position). Don't know what that would mean, if anything.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Try.......(I am not an electrician)

Originally Posted by jjnord
Checked the fuses in the box next to the stator relay and all where good. I have had "issues" with the ignition key lock thingy before. Basically if i put the key in about halfway, I can spin the whole lock cylinder around and around...not sure if this is normal. Could it have a bad connection inside it now? If it did, could it prevent power to the dash and headlight and etc? Lost.... Oh, after I put in the new battery and while connecting the new stator relay, the two hex screw leads touched each other. When the touched, the bike cranked over?!? (the key was in it and on the 'on' position). Don't know what that would mean, if anything.
The whole lock cylinder spinning around.. definately not normal!!!

A bad connection is a possiblity but not my first area of concern.

Touching the two leads together just completed the circuit, shouldn't mess anything up.

I would click on the sticky for the 929RR service manual. https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-929rr...al-here-49545/ Download the service manual and look on Page 16-1. That is the Battery/Charging System. It has a troubleshooting flowchart (Page 16-3) and instructions on Page 16-4 thru 16-8 that gives you step-by-step procedures on what to do to test you Battery/Charging System. It will tell you what is wrong.. EXAMPLE: "check alternator charging coil (page 16-7) standard .1-1.0 Ohms (20 degrees C/ 68 degrees F)" if that is incorrect then it says "Faulty Charging Coil". Hope this helps...

Last edited by Trey929RR; 08-30-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added Link for Manual.