CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Chain/Sprocket, too many opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain/Sprocket, too many opinions

Hey guys, new here, picked up a 929 last october as my first bike. It is a bit big for a first timer but I got a crazy deal (less than 6k miles, paid $1800)

Anyway, the guy before must have been pretty tame on it because in the 1000 miles I've put on it I stretched the chain about 1.5 inches in length! (not slack). Also blew a couple teeth peaks off the rear sprocket. The chain was correctly adjusted, I think its just old/stock.

Anyway I am looking to replace the damaged items, and have found it tough to decide on what to use. I've done a bunch of research all over the web, and people are so polar on whats good to use, what brands are crap, whether or not to go 520, changing gearing etc..

I'm thinking I'd like to go +2 on the rear and leave the front alone. I don't care to go 520, but it seems harder/more expensive to stay 530 because of aftermarket economics. I do wheelie a couple times a ride, nothing crazy. I'm also only 5'7" 160lbs so I'm not too much strain on the bike. I'd like to stay steel on the rear for strength but the only steel rear I've found which I can change gearing on is this: http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...-SS503811.html

As for the chains, I'd rather not spend too much as I don't ride all that much and wouldn't mind saving some cash. I ride casually when the weather permits and I'm not playing with other toys.

Anyone have some guidance?

Old 06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you should have too much trouble finding a 530 at +2 in the rear.
I would personally stick with the 530 (and all steel), but that's just me. Others can comment on that if they'd like.

Here is a set with an RK X-Ring and both sprockets (pick your gearing) for $170. 10 bucks more to go for the gold.
If you look around, many times you can find even better deals on the stuff separately.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:59 PM

WOW man i was just going to post something on this.. my local dealer said her couldnt find me a +2 Rear sprocket STEEL..... I want to DROP one in front (15) and +2 in back (45)... oooh and by the way i just PIKKED up a 9292RR erion racing model and WOW!!!!!!! wata BIKE!!!!!!! so to add on to ur POST i i wouild love if some one could gimme some info on this I WANTR a GOOD chain and sprockets.... i dont need TOP OF LINE!!! but would like something NICE... so if pros and cons on that topic... and any ideas on brands or ideas on different companies... i was told that aluminum i would be replacing atleast half the miles of a steel sprocket..... is this the case?? and he also said myu 929 would be "strong" or too much "power" for aluminum.... is this the case? ANY WAY I WANT A GOOD SET.............. PLEASE HELP US!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 PM

The one ktrout posted is a great buy. Steel sprockets, X-Ring chain, rivet link. I have used RK on my street and track bikes on and off since the 80's. Never any problems. Never heard of the brand Kneedraggers had.

I have a DID and stock sprockets on the 954 right now, I prefer the 530 chain, like ktrout said, but I can't offer any real analytical reasons. I have close to 20K on them now, my aluminums always wore faster (520, 525, or 530's).

Last edited by randyjoy; 06-04-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks guys, any other suggestions? I too would like to stay steel.

Also, I would assume if my front sprocket looks good still, than I can use that one with the +2 rear and new chain (that way I can buy a -1 front and have that ready if I want more aggresive gearing).

One more thing, does the -1/+2 give optimum gearing (3:1 or so)? that seems to be what people are saying, I have yet to run the numbers myself against the stock gearing.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Delox
One more thing, does the -1/+2 give optimum gearing (3:1 or so)? that seems to be what people are saying, I have yet to run the numbers myself against the stock gearing.
Truly depends on what you want. If you want more low-end torque, easier to bring the front up, quicker response coming out of a turn, -1/+2 works great...your top-end will suffer, gas mileage will suffer, your speedometer will be way off, you'll run higher RPMs when cruising.

I change the gearing all the time on the track bike to suit the particular track conditions and layout, but I've been running the 954 with stock gearing for about 20K now.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Delox, here is a pretty cool program to play with if you like. It will tell you a bit about your gearing choice. Gearing Commander <-- link.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry a whole lot about playing with the gearing if I was just running street. I'm +2 on the rear of my 1000 because it picks up a little quicker, but anything more would make the RPMs too high for me to comfortably highway cruise with.
If I were you, I would just buy an all new set (f/r sprock and chain) in a gear ratio that's near stock. That way, you'll know exactly how many miles are on your set, you'll get the best mileage out of them without prematurely wearing anything out, and you get the best of both worlds on take off and cruising. Middle ground is good on the street, IMO.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM

I've gone both ways on my 929, down one in the front, using an RK520 gold chain and sprocket set. 10k miles on the chain and sprockets, no apreciable wear, but, I also rarely do wheelies, and spend more time riding back roads at a "spirited" pace

I've had to do the initial adjustment on my chain after install, and thats it in 10k miles. Sprockets still look new, but, then, I maintain my toy avidly. It gets the chain cleaned and lubed every 500 miles without fail. I'm very happy with the RK 520 setup, but, I reiterate, I'm not riding wheelies or doing burnouts..any of those thing tend to wear not only the chain and sprockets, but the front fork seals, tires, brakes, and there is always the possibility that you can lose control and wipe the bike, and possibly yourself out.
Case in point, roughly 2 months ago, a riding acquaintence, who liked to pull wheelies all the time, was riding home from work on a well travelled road, he pulled a wheelie on a bridge, and the wind pushed him into the superstructure (he was a fine rider from all I've heard) He hit the superstructure and was killed by decapitation. Had a friend riding behind him that witnessed the whole thing. do what you do, but use good decision making, stay astride, and you'll stay alive. (I figure, and yes, I'm "older" there are two wheels, and both should stay on the ground as much as possible.)