CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Bought a possible stolen bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks, I appreciate the advice from everyone, I'm meeting with the detective on Wed. so I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr929rr rider
Ok thanks, I appreciate the advice from everyone, I'm meeting with the detective on Wed. so I'll let you guys know how that goes.
so this is my two cents and my sister is a distict attornney up here in boston, i'll ask her tonight what she thinks..
these guys(in the forum) have you on the right track, although it seems to me you have almost a week before you meet this detective.. i personally would take off or put back any of the original parts you have. its highly likely your going to lose the bike or like these guys say parts of it and i dont think you'll find better advise, even from a lawer compared to everyones experiences here.
but if i were you i would at this point try to minamis my lose..and that going to be hard, the love for bike getting torn apart and paying a lawer and your time lost..
i'm going to rerread the post to find out where you live so i can refernce it to my sister later.. the funny thing is, shes a lawer here in boston and in california, the two hardest places to pass the bar.. goodluck my friend

Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

^^I was gonna say that you should remove what you can.

Also, what if the bike magically didn't start on Wednesday, and you meet them in a car so you're not late to meet them?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by jasonchristopher
so this is my two cents and my sister is a distict attornney up here in boston, i'll ask her tonight what she thinks..
these guys(in the forum) have you on the right track, although it seems to me you have almost a week before you meet this detective.. i personally would take off or put back any of the original parts you have. its highly likely your going to lose the bike or like these guys say parts of it and i dont think you'll find better advise, even from a lawer compared to everyones experiences here.
but if i were you i would at this point try to minamis my lose..and that going to be hard, the love for bike getting torn apart and paying a lawer and your time lost..
i'm going to rerread the post to find out where you live so i can refernce it to my sister later.. the funny thing is, shes a lawer here in boston and in california, the two hardest places to pass the bar.. goodluck my friend
+1 on this. i hope everything works out for you.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:57 AM

Well could I give them a bike without all the parts? Most the parts that I have put on it are parts the bike needs to run (new tires, chain and sprocket kit, spark plugs, tailight+labor fees for getting the bike rewired, front and rear break pads+ rotors, ect) and I don't have the old parts anmore to replace them with. Also what would I do with parts like that? Do people buy used stuff like that?

And I live in MD

Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
^^I was gonna say that you should remove what you can.

Also, what if the bike magically didn't start on Wednesday, and you meet them in a car so you're not late to meet them?
They did specifically say to bring the bike but I guess if it doesn't start it doesn't start :P

Also, another interesting twist, I went to the state trooper station and asked them to run my vin# and it came back clean and registered to me. Is that a good sign or does it just mean the detective hasn't put it in the system as a stolen bike or something?

Old 09-22-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr929rr rider
They did specifically say to bring the bike but I guess if it doesn't start it doesn't start :P

Also, another interesting twist, I went to the state trooper station and asked them to run my vin# and it came back clean and registered to me. Is that a good sign or does it just mean the detective hasn't put it in the system as a stolen bike or something?
I'm wondering if someones not stroking you right now... seeing you've gone to the state police and they have no record of it or an record of an open investigation.. i guess my question would be when you spoke with your lawyer did he contact the detective for you and or have anything to say to the authorities on your behalf. or are you going by one conversation with a stranger on the phone.just curious , this is starting to sound A bit fishy..
second if you feel it in your bones its a 100 percent legit.. then yes take every f---ing thing off that bike you put on it, especially since you'll be able to document everything you bought, especially buying local, you can just drive back there if your missing a receipt and obviously if you used credit you can call and have the last six months of purchasing sent in all of 10-12 pages, where from there i would highlight evertyhing relevant..
now you asked the question will people buy these parts used and the quick answer is yes or course they will, but that's not why your taking it off, your taking it off because with a bike missing x-amount of parts(AND THEY'RE LEGALLY YOURS) the insurance company will have less to bargain with later.. you need to remember who the victim is here and not just the guy who originally lost the bike.. and actually pain wise, he's probably experienced the least.. if he had insurance they paid out after a month and his uncertainty was contained.. i think your is going to linger for while.. whats not sitting right with me is this detective scheduling you out over a week to finally meet with you.,.
i know if it were here in massachuttes they would have sent the task force to your house pretty much immediately and inpound the bike instantly if it were legit stolen.. they have lots of cops just dedicated to that around here. i dont know, just somthing is not adding up.i wish the best to you my man..my son has been pestering me the five minutes so i'll check back in later today, my sister slept at her boyfriends last night hopefully i'll see her this morning and pick her brains..
jay

Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered Users

If you got a title for it and insurance for it also, chances are its not stolen. The DMV or the courthouse should have told you if it was when u had all the paper work completed

Old 09-25-2012, 09:43 AM

I'm wondering if someones not stroking you right now... seeing you've gone to the state police and they have no record of it or an record of an open investigation.. i guess my question would be when you spoke with your lawyer did he contact the detective for you and or have anything to say to the authorities on your behalf. or are you going by one conversation with a stranger on the phone.just curious , this is starting to sound A bit fishy..
second if you feel it in your bones its a 100 percent legit.. then yes take every f---ing thing off that bike you put on it, especially since you'll be able to document everything you bought, especially buying local, you can just drive back there if your missing a receipt and obviously if you used credit you can call and have the last six months of purchasing sent in all of 10-12 pages, where from there i would highlight evertyhing relevant..
now you asked the question will people buy these parts used and the quick answer is yes or course they will, but that's not why your taking it off, your taking it off because with a bike missing x-amount of parts(AND THEY'RE LEGALLY YOURS) the insurance company will have less to bargain with later.. you need to remember who the victim is here and not just the guy who originally lost the bike.. and actually pain wise, he's probably experienced the least.. if he had insurance they paid out after a month and his uncertainty was contained.. i think your is going to linger for while.. whats not sitting right with me is this detective scheduling you out over a week to finally meet with you.,.
i know if it were here in massachuttes they would have sent the task force to your house pretty much immediately and inpound the bike instantly if it were legit stolen.. they have lots of cops just dedicated to that around here. i dont know, just somthing is not adding up.i wish the best to you my man..my son has been pestering me the five minutes so i'll check back in later today, my sister slept at her boyfriends last night hopefully i'll see her this morning and pick her brains..
jay
Yea, I thought it was strange too that everything came up clean and I'm still in question of a possible stolen bike. The only thing I can think of that he would delay meeting with me would be because he's trying to get some kind of warrant or something to sieze the bike. I'm also pretty sure that it is an actual detective I've talked with him multiple time and everytime I call him the police dept picks up. So unless someone gave him a false report on my bike being stolen I can't see how it would be someone just messing with me. Also my lawyer did not contact ayone yet I simply relayed what the detective had told me to him and he told me where to go from there. I did talk to my seller and he doesn't remeber much if anything about the guy he bought the bike from, all he remebers is he bought it in a public parking lot in Fredrick, no name or nothing.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:33 PM

Bike's gone, not getting it back.

It looks like the Vin# is cloned and since it's missing the engine number its a felony to ride it. How they were alerted to this was the real bike was trying to be registered in SC but it was being red flagged because it was already registered to me. They told me I can take off whatever parts I have reciepts for and they're crushing the bike in 2-3 months. Don't have any leads on the potential theif.

Quick Reply: Bought a possible stolen bike