CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Bought a possible stolen bike

Old 09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bought a possible stolen bike

I got a call earlier this week from the Police Dept. concerning my 01 CBR 929rr. They called to tell me that it is a possible stolen bike and I need to take it to impound and meet with me about it. I told them that I bought it about 3 months ago and I've had it tagged, titled and registered for about 2 months. They haven't told me how this came to thier attention so I'm not sure why this is coming up now because I the guy I bought it from had it for a year and he had a MD title for it and the MVA accepted it when I went to transfer the title. The only thing that was unusal about the bike is it's missing the engine number, however I noticed this after I purchased it and titled it. I'm wondering if anyone has any expirence with something like this and could help me out with what I need to do next. Right now I'm meeting with the Detective next wed. Will I get my money back (what I purchased the bike for and what I've put into it 4-4500)? Or am I completely screwed and am going to lose the bike and my money?

Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm guessing you bought & title the frame. That's all it matters....if the engine happens to be stolen, that's all they can recuperate....worst case I see is they taking the engine back....but I don't see that happening...just be honest and show them all your paperwork, bill of sales and any supporting documents needed.

Good luck and keep us posted....buyers beware!

Old 09-19-2012, 12:42 PM

Let us know how it goes then...

Old 09-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Deff let us know what happens. Wish you luck.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to speak to a lawyer asap & they need to go w/ you. In fact, direct any further questions from anyone to your lawyer. Otherwise, they might immediately impound your bike & ask questions at their leisure.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
You need to speak to a lawyer asap & they need to go w/ you. In fact, direct any further questions from anyone to your lawyer. Otherwise, they might immediately impound your bike & ask questions at their leisure.
True that. I heard of this happening before and people have got left high and dry. Receiving stolen property is no joke in pa anyway. Lawyer would be a good idea.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I'm guessing you bought & title the frame. That's all it matters....if the engine happens to be stolen, that's all they can recuperate....worst case I see is they taking the engine back....but I don't see that happening...just be honest and show them all your paperwork, bill of sales and any supporting documents needed.

Good luck and keep us posted....buyers beware!
It's actually the engine# in MD that you put on the title but its the frame vin# thats coming up as stolen.

I have contacted a lawyer and he said that I need to let them impound the bike and go from there, he then said the seller should return my money and if he doesn't then sue him, but this doesn't make sense if the seller isn't the theft, because then he's getting ripped off. Also does what I put into the bike get lossed (1600)? I do legally own this bike because I have tags,title and registration in my name for it, so they can't just take the bike without any compensation right?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Compensating you is not their concern, recovering stolen property is. As the lawyer said, you will need to sue the seller. He can sue who he got it from. Eventually it will get back to the thief and whoever got it from them is screwed. All that...in theory.

If and insurance company paid the original person it was stolen from, they may be willing to work with you and let you buy the bike from them and make you a deal. You can sue the person you got it from for the difference between the amount you paid and new salvaged value. If there was no insurance on it, the original owner gets the bike back. They may make you a deal, but don't have to. Then you gotta sue the guy you got it from. You can only sue the guy that you got it from, that's where your damages are.

Last edited by 74demon; 09-19-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
Compensating you is not their concern, recovering stolen property is. As the lawyer said, you will need to sue the seller. He can sue who he got it from. Eventually it will get back to the thief and whoever got it from them is screwed. All that...in theory.

If and insurance company paid the original person it was stolen from, they may be willing to work with you and let you buy the bike from them and make you a deal. You can sue the person you got it from for the difference between the amount you paid and new salvaged value. If there was no insurance on it, the original owner gets the bike back. They may make you a deal, but don't have to. Then you gotta sue the guy you got it from. You can only sue the guy that you got it from, that's where your damages are.
Yea thats what I figured. So it's basically a chain of suites until it gets back to the theft/victim who got it stolen?

Idk if anyone knows this answer or not but would I just be able to sue the seller for what he sold it to me for or would I be able to sue him for what he sold it to me for + the money I put into it to get it on the road.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

More than likely just the selling price. That's all he damaged you. You could always try to get it all in small claims court.

Now, this wouldn't need to be a bad thing between you and the seller, especially if he didn't know it was stolen. He may just give you your money back, but you may want to file a suit anyway so he has been officially damaged and has an amount to go after they guy he got it from. I'm not a lawyer, so find out the best way to go about it from a legal professional.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought a possible stolen bike