CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

929 stator problem i believe help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 stator problem i believe help

Hey guys new to the 929 but not to ridng or this forum. First of all wow switching over from the f2 to a 929 big jump lol. Anyways i just got my bike home this morning after a very long night. Bought the bike for 2900 not a bad deal i get some pics up later, but my problem was the guy had put a new battery in it, and when i was riding it home i noticed the lights getting dimmer ad dimmer, and then the gauges started flickering. I was like WTF? So i kept riding for a bit and they got so dim that i couldnt hardly see so i pulled off the road and as soon as i pulled the clutch in the bike died. I let it sit for about 15 mins, but right after it died i popped the back seat up and felt of the r/r and it wasnt hardly even warm so i didnt figure that was bad. I took the seat off and the tank on the side of i-64 at 1 in the morning. Traced the stator wires down and check for corrosion and all looked good put it back together got my buddy to push start me then started my way bck home. About 8 miles later same thing lights dimming and gauges cutting on and off. I payed a little better attention to what it was doing this time though. If i held rpm's up around 6.5 grand it seemed to last a tiny bit longer. I also noticed that while riding that my lights would brighten for a few secs then they would dim in about 5 second intervals. Like a cars air conditioner compressor would click and kick on then when it gets cool it clicks off. Im thinking the stator is going bad. Im pretty sure its almost completly gone. Anyone have any ideas? I looked into the manual but the schematics dont explain theyre self very well. Like with your multi meter on do you hook the red on the multi meter to the yellow wires and the ground to a ground and whats the resistance in ohm's supposed to be? Do you perform this with the bike running? Im not an electrician and i dont understand electrical talk so when explaing it to me keep it kind of remedial lol. Any body on here have a used stator in good shape that they are willing to part with i dont make much money and i dont have 200 to go dump on a new one. Not to mention its gonna cost me 250 just to get the bike switched into my name and all of that. Any advice or parts welcome. My bike is my get away from the world, and my time to relax. Please help a fellow noob 929 rider please. Look forward to hearing all good info and help with the parts if you may.